possable problem with my turbo cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sledgehammer

Reaction score
hi all
i started some turbo cider off on friday evening but sat mid-day it was fermenting really well
i looked at it on monday evening and everything has stopped
any suggestions as i dont think ti could of fermented out that quickly

it was aldi apple juce from concentrate

steve

its probably just slowed down the first few days often it goes mad then after that it just ferments much slower , leave it be for a few days then test it with a hydrometer for 2 days running and see its it remained the same if yes leave for a few days more then bottle. if not leave for a week then check again.

As above it won't do it any harm leaving it. I have got one from septembrr which I haven't bottled. You do need to check it with a hydrometer, tc should drop to 1.000 or below.

I think mine was done in about 5-7 days and it had dropped down to either .990 or .995 FYI. As other people have said though, the safest way is to check the hydrometer reading every day or two and wait until you get the same reading on 2 or 3 consecutive occasions.

cheers for the reply
the room temp is around 16-18 degs
nothing has happend for a few days now
the hydrometer reading is 1023 (not sure im doing this right)
its cloudy and fizzy but no signs of fermentation
i will repeat the hydrometer reading friday (1 week of fermentation)

steve

Thats only about halfway done then. The fizzing is the brew fermenting, because as the yeast converts the sugar to alcohol it also creates carbon dioxide ( which is why you can carbonate a brew by 'priming' your bottles with sugar). I'm guessing you had a massive wedge of foamy stuff atop your brew after a few days which has completely gone? This tends to happen for some reason and might be a bit worrying at first, but as long as its fizzing the yeasties are still doing their job!

thats right, what he said.

it will get there leave it somewhere warm and it will finish. dont expect it to be fizzy it wont, unless yolu want it to and follow the carbonation proccesssss

peace

hi ollie
it tastes ok at the moment ie not like vinigar
so thats a good sign
i'll leave it longer
by the way will it clear naturally or do i have to add finings?
i don't mind cloudy cider

steve

when its fermented fully there will be no bubbles that you can see, if you have a hydrometer it will stop dropping in numbers and stay the same for a day or two then its fermented out. now you have scrumpy. my advice is then bottle it into empty pop bottle with a little bit of sugar like a tea spoon max. then put its all in a warm place again like before for a good few days to a week and it should be slightly or full on fizzy cider, longer its left the better then.

i was going to put it into a pressure barrel none of this messing about with botteling
so in the pressure barrel how much sugar do you recon i'll need (5 gallons)
to be perfectily honest fizzy or not don't really bother me (can probably drink more of it in a session if flat)

steve

with a 5 gallon batch of beer you use around 80g (plastic barrel)but you can go up to 120g if its a king keg (plastic) i think its the same for cider but not totally sure

pittsy said:
with a 5 gallon batch of beer you use around 80g (plastic barrel)but you can go up to 120g if its a king keg (plastic) i think its the same for cider but not totally sure

i'm using a hamelton bard super cask (6gallons)
but only filing it to 5 gallons with cider :thumb:

steve

I bottle mine and prime with 1 teaspoon of sugar per 500ml/pint and it comes out very nice. Can't see why that wouldn't work in your keg so that would be 40 teaspoons (i find it quicker to do it that way, rather than weighing it).

Fergmeister said:
I bottle mine and prime with 1 teaspoon of sugar per 500ml/pint and it comes out very nice. Can't see why that wouldn't work in your keg so that would be 40 teaspoons (i find it quicker to do it that way, rather than weighing it).
top tip try adding 40 tsp of sugar to some scales once then forever after you got your weight ,also batch priming is easier than doing each bottle 1 at a time :rofl:

pittsy said:
top tip try adding 40 tsp of sugar to some scales once then forever after you got your weight ,also batch priming is easier than doing each bottle 1 at a time :rofl:

Ooh that's a good idea, I'll be sure to do that, just in case I run out of teaspoons one day...

Also, being relatively new to this hobby (much like the OP I presume) I only have one fv, which means batch priming would result in quite a bit of sediment which I would sooner avoid. ;)

Fergmeister said:
pittsy said:

Ooh that's a good idea, I'll be sure to do that, just in case I run out of teaspoons one day...

Also, being relatively new to this hobby (much like the OP I presume) I only have one fv, which means batch priming would result in quite a bit of sediment which I would sooner avoid. ;)

A tsp is 5ml. Odds on there's a measuring jug in your house you can fill to the 200ml mark...

pittsy said:

It's easier but by priming each bottle individually you can try different amounts of sugar to see which one fits your fizzyness taste the best

sledgehammer said:
cheers for the reply
the room temp is around 16-18 degs
nothing has happend for a few days now
the hydrometer reading is 1023 (not sure im doing this right)
its cloudy and fizzy but no signs of fermentation
i will repeat the hydrometer reading friday (1 week of fermentation)

steve

*Update*
tested the gravity again today (sat) and i got a reading of 1006

steve

Latest posts

Back