Possible infection?...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

will4009

Reaction score
Hello,

Just about to do some bottling, removed the fermentor lid and this is what I saw.
IMG_20200707_112922.jpg

IMG_20200707_112926.jpg

So...any opinions? Yeast rafts? Something worse? I was particularly unsure about the white patches.

Would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks

What is the FG? If your FG is where you expect, get it bottled up. In my limited experience there are two things I don't concern myself with if the FG is where I expect it to be:
Airlock activity
What it looks like

That said, I haven't seen an infected batch before, so don't know what I'd be looking for anyway.

I think you'd know from the smell if it was infected. If it smells fine, get it racked and packaged. It looks like trub that's bobbed to the surface to me, but I'm no expert

Its at its FG, I thought It was just a bit odd looking...

I think I will bottle it, and hope for the best. Will give it a quick sample first.

By all means sample, but I find I gain very little from doing so - usually tastes naff for me at this point, but comes good with time in the bottle
I always sample before bottling/kegging, I try to sample as much as I can through the process to make sure everything is as it should be. If it tastes okay (ish) at bottling and then turns to vinegar then I will know that it has failed in the packaging stage and not the FV.

Bottle it.
If it is an infection then it's something that needs oxygen, which is why it's lurking on the top. Deprive it of oxygen and it'll do no further damage.
On the other hand, it might just be the way that particular yeast partys! Get it bottled up.

Last edited:
Not heard of that one.
Perhaps someone else has and can say how it performs, especially in its ability to flocculate and form yeast floats.
I bottled it, so will see how it goes. Had a quick sample, and it tasted ok. So hopefully it will be fine.

Yeah, I have been using Dark Rock for my ingredients and had been really happy with them. But, my last order they were very limited in the yeasts that were available. So, I just went for their own. I have used that yeast once before, however It didn't look like this batch.

Latest posts

Back