Possible issues with evil dog double ipa fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I left the hop bags in for 2 days, I just took the FV off of the heat pad and put it In my kitchen, I left it for 24 hours to cool and settle and then bottled it that was two weeks ago and tonight I've had one and am happy with it.

Mark

Nice one mate. Similar plan to me then, has it got a strong hoppy taste?

Last edited:
I'm not a expert but I think it's the hops that give it it's fruity /flowery taste and aroma.

Mark

I'm not a expert but I think it's the hops that give it it's fruity /flowery taste and aroma.

Mark

Yeah I think it should be. I can't wait for this to be ready to drink to be honest 😂

Have you brewed any other good Ipa's worth trying?

No this is my first IPA, Belgian ales are my thing but I'm very happy with it.
I've also got bulldogs hammer of Thor and bad cat in bottles but not ready yet and in my FV I've got a muntons Belgian ale which I've got high hopes for !
I've got a steady production line going , as one comes out of the FV and into bottles another goes into the FV and despite me being on lockdown and drinking a bit more it's starting to stack up, hopefully this will mean that the beers will get longer to mature and improve.

Mark

No this is my first IPA, Belgian ales are my thing but I'm very happy with it.
I've also got bulldogs hammer of Thor and bad cat in bottles but not ready yet and in my FV I've got a muntons Belgian ale which I've got high hopes for !
I've got a steady production line going , as one comes out of the FV and into bottles another goes into the FV and despite me being on lockdown and drinking a bit more it's starting to stack up, hopefully this will mean that the beers will get longer to mature and improve.

Mark

Ah I see, sounds like you've got a steady supply to keep you going through the lockdown. I've seen a few reviews on the bad cat and it looks good, I might have to try it.
I want to try the bulldog four finger jack next though I think. Love a good hoppy ipa 👍

What exactly were the problems you had? I tasted the sample I used for the gravity checks 2 days ago and today and the taste is very nice so I don't see there being any issues that side of it unless the hop bags completely ruin it?
I really dont know I followed instructions to the latter it turned terrible I didnt take any reading so I guess it didnt finish??

I really dont know I followed instructions to the latter it turned terrible I didnt take any reading so I guess it didnt finish??

Maybe so mate, did you taste before you added the hops? Are you usually a fan of hoppy Ipa's?
As I say mine tasted very good before adding the hops so I think I'll be OK 🤞

Maybe so mate, did you taste before you added the hops? Are you usually a fan of hoppy Ipa's?
As I say mine tasted very good before adding the hops so I think I'll be OK 🤞
All I drink is ipa when I say undrinkable I mean it I'm not fussy maybe infected so I throw a 100 g hops in no prob I love flavours

All I drink is ipa when I say undrinkable I mean it I'm not fussy maybe infected so I throw a 100 g hops in no prob I love flavours

Ah I see. I have no experience with infections in a brew but I suppose it could have been that, I think it would effect flavour massively if it was infected with something?
You have any good recommendations for a good hoppy ipa for me to brew next?

I am doing this kit just now as a first attempt. Pitched the yeast Sunday night. Nothing for 24 hours then it started Monday strong Monday. Was thinking about transferring it after 14 days to a 2nd FV and leaving for another 7 before adding the hops for a couple of days then barrelling. Does this sound acceptable? Should i add finings to the second FV to clear it if need be? Any advice appreciated. Cheers.

If I remember correctly I had it in the FV for two weeks the hop tea bags went in for 3 days from day 11 and then I bottled it, I did not add any finings , the beer is slightly hazy golden colour and tastes great. The first one had very strong hop flavour, that has now calmed down a bit to leave a lovely tasting ale !

Mark

Ok, that's basically the same as the instructions. It's just I read that instructions can be notoriously short and leave it longer. I'm barreling but if yours turned out fine I'll probably just add the hops around day 11 or 12.
If I remember correctly I had it in the FV for two weeks the hop tea bags went in for 3 days from day 11 and then I bottled it, I did not add any finings , the beer is slightly hazy golden colour and tastes great. The first one had very strong hop flavour, that has now calmed down a bit to leave a lovely tasting ale !

Mark

I think the most important thing taste wise was leaving it to condition , it seems to get better as each day passed.

Mark

I am doing this kit just now as a first attempt. Pitched the yeast Sunday night. Nothing for 24 hours then it started Monday strong Monday. Was thinking about transferring it after 14 days to a 2nd FV and leaving for another 7 before adding the hops for a couple of days then barrelling. Does this sound acceptable? Should i add finings to the second FV to clear it if need be? Any advice appreciated. Cheers.

I added the hop bags on day 13 when the gravity had levelled out and left them in for 3 days then transferred to bottling bucket with priming sugar and bottled. Its looking quite clear in the bottles already and its only been bottled 5 days.

Be 14 days fermenting on Sunday. Instructions say anywhere between 1.008 and 1.014. Held 1.016 (possibly dropped 0.001) for the last 3 days. Is it likely to drop over the next 3? Both hop bags meant to go in tomorrow. Concerned something has happened.

I wouldn't panic, stick the hop bags in tomorrow and take more readings in a couple of days if you are still worried.

I didn't take any readings on mine, just went with the times in the instructions.

Mark

Be 14 days fermenting on Sunday. Instructions say anywhere between 1.008 and 1.014. Held 1.016 (possibly dropped 0.001) for the last 3 days. Is it likely to drop over the next 3? Both hop bags meant to go in tomorrow. Concerned something has happened.

Mine leveled out at 1.014 so your pretty close. I'd agree with @Satellitemark and throw the hops in tomorrow. I've also seen other reviews saying that this has finished at a higher gravity than stated so I doubt you'll have any problems👍

Latest posts

Back