Possible Scam Alert

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VW911

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have discussed this issue with admin, and they have agreed to allow me to post this.
This is really aimed at other Homebrew Shop owners and retailers.

Over the last couple of weeks, I have had phone calls asking us to supply various items of expensive equipment.
The first caller was asking for 4 x Grainfather G70's (at about £1500 each) and then a call today, asking for 200 (yes 200) G30's (at a retail price of about £650 each).
I really can't see any reason for any individual homebrewer, or club for that matter, to order such quantities.
Just wondering if any other retailers have had similar experiences?
Would be grateful if anyone with any info could contact me by PM - I don't want to trip over any sponsor/advertising rules...

What's their phone number? My Mrs has had a few scam calls at her shop saying she's agreed to all sorts of promotions, sponsorship etc...and all they need are card details...
Needless to say the second word of the reply is "OFF!".

One was Greater London (02038), todays was a mobile (07387 ******), but I think they're linked...

Undoubtedly a scam.
If you’d followed through then the payment method they offered would have been a stolen card or compromised bank account, and downstream you would have been hit with a chargeback from the issuer.
Your best bet with any high value or suspicious transaction is to verify the delivery address.

Thanks for that.
The whole thing stinks of scam, hence my post here...
Absolutely no way was I going to get into any sort of transaction with them!

You can buy a VoIP phone number from any region that had available numbers.
I suspect they use that as calls are much cheaper than a standard landline.

Also the past few years has seen a big increase in scam calls from mobile numbers. Either stolen Sims or burner Sims bought with 1 month unlimited calls & texts. You put them in a "SIM bank" connected to a computer & it dials & then only connects calls that are answered to a person.
(If answering an unknown number stay silent for a few seconds and see how quickly they hang up before saying anything)

Last scam call I got was claiming to be the IRS, who was going to put out a warrant for my arrest if I didn’t transfer money to them.
I faked crying about a divorce, etc lost child custody and now this, and I couldn’t take any more, then I fired a black powder pistol primer into the air and had a friend start screaming about calling medical help.
they hung up, and the next day, the number was disconnected….
I kinda miss scam calls.

Last scam call I got was claiming to be the IRS, who was going to put out a warrant for my arrest if I didn’t transfer money to them.
I faked crying about a divorce, etc lost child custody and now this, and I couldn’t take any more, then I fired a black powder pistol primer into the air and had a friend start screaming about calling medical help.
they hung up, and the next day, the number was disconnected….
I kinda miss scam calls.
Will have to get my pistol and friend on standby for next time I get a scam call.

Will have to get my pistol and friend on standby for next time I get a scam call.
The drill instructor dialogue from the movie Full Metal Jacket is fun to shout into the phone, too.
That is, if you don’t have anything from your own service time.

Back