Post Brexit food standards,,,

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't believe that Europe will shut up shop....they want to keep supplying as much as we want to buy.

The difference is we are a market of 60m people and they are 500m. They obviously want close alignment but let's not get carried away over who is more important to whom.

And to those saying that stuff from China and the USA (as well as Aus and NZ) will be unaffected, we'll be having to strike trade deals with those countries too. Again, as a Country of 60m as opposed to a block of 500m.

And to those saying that stuff from China and the USA (as well as Aus and NZ) will be unaffected, we'll be having to strike trade deals with those countries too. Again, as a Country of 60m as opposed to a block of 500m.

We did alright before we joined and well do alright when we leave.

We did alright before we joined and well do alright when we leave.

It may well be the case that we'll be ok afterwards, but the world is a very different place than it was 40 years ago, as is the UK's place within it.

The world maybe a different place than it was 40 years ago and probably for the better this time. Too many people are not optimistic we are in charge of our own destiny at least

The world maybe a different place than it was 40 years ago and probably for the better this time. Too many people are not optimistic we are in charge of our own destiny at least

What's there to be optimistic about? Our economy is kept afloat by the City of London. Natural resources are dwindling band we produce nothing. It's grim. The only reason we could compete before is because we had an Empire. What exactly is it that we have to offer?

Our destiny is in our hands?! We'll see how much say we have when we are round the negotiating table with President Co and Trump. Oh, and the EU 36.

The difference is we are a market of 60m people and they are 500m. They obviously want close alignment but let's not get carried away over who is more important to whom.

And to those saying that stuff from China and the USA (as well as Aus and NZ) will be unaffected, we'll be having to strike trade deals with those countries too. Again, as a Country of 60m as opposed to a block of 500m

We have a trade defecit with the EU. The EU doesn't have a trade deal with the USA or China.

We have a trade defecit with the EU. The EU doesn't have a trade deal with the USA or China.

As a country within the EU we do. The EU has trade agreements with both of the above. Again, what do we have to offer China and the USA that'll see us have comparable trading relationships to what we currently have as part of the EU?

Trump and Xi will rightly bend us over.

As a country within the EU we do. The EU has trade agreements with both of the above. Again, what do we have to offer China and the USA that'll see us have comparable trading relationships to what we currently have as part of the EU?

Trump and Xi will rightly bend us over.

It really doesn't,mate. TTIP wasn't signed.

It really doesn't,mate. TTIP wasn't signed.

TTIP wasn't, but we are currently trading with them under agreements. Same goes China. An agreement with them has been in place since 1985. Neither are free-trade agreements, and that in itself should give us pause for concern.

Anyways, I'm on this forum for homebrewing. Unfortunately, the topic of Brexit has a way of drawing you in.

I'll be ******* raging if I end up paying tariffs on hops, and my favourite breweries end up charging even more for their beers/go out of business.

40yrs ago we sill had industry.
Dirty,smelly, But it kept people in decent well paid jobs.

We are going to find out if as a nation we still have what it takes.
Lets hope so.

Looking at all the EU countries Germany is the biggest industrialy...and driving the B. word. If you look at Greece,Italy, Spain..the Eastern lot..what are they going to hold us ransom with? Olive oil,lettuce and cabbages... oh and holidays.

Looking at all the EU countries Germany is the biggest industrialy...and driving the B. word. If you look at Greece,Italy, Spain..the Eastern lot..what are they going to hold us ransom with? Olive oil,lettuce and cabbages... oh and holidays.

They operate as a block. That's the problem.

I take the view its strength in numbers

Still in the next few years we will find out for sure.

When one gets to my age a decade passes in the blinking of an eye.

Before UK joined the Common Market I read 96 or 98 % of Australia's export went to the UK didn't leave us or New Zealand in a nice place. Clint's right the EU isn't going to stop selling to the UK out of spite.
Imagine if the USA stepped in to fill the void of the food market farmers all over Europe would be applying for bankruptcy.
Biggest problem with empires they always fail, for exactly the same reason for which Britain is pulling out now.

Exactly...they do operate as a bloc..all contribute to the fund as we did...but they still will need their existing economies whatever they are to enable this whether it's cars or cucumbers...a lot of the EU is either contributing very little or teetering on the brink...

Back