Post Brexit food standards,,,

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if it'll be like the millennium when all the computers were supposed to go mad?
At the stroke of midnight they'll start bricking the channel tunnel up..

Yes TVR is still alive and Mclaren do not use Mercedes engines they use Ricardo engines a british company. All I am trying to point out is that we have some brilliant products in this country that the world wants and everything is not doom and gloom

It's still very niche and worth very very little to our economy. I take Clint's point on R&D. Problem is, we do not have enough people with the skills here, and we need a hell of a lot more immigration.

I wonder if it'll be like the millennium when all the computers were supposed to go mad?
At the stroke of midnight they'll start bricking the channel tunnel up..

Y2K was a real problem. It was averted because guess what... We prepared for it.

The thing is are the ones that keep saying the UK is rubbish and doomed wanted to stay in the EU?
Do they really have such a poor view of the country they live in?
Perhaps packing the bags and buggering off might be an idea....

That is such a lazy point and I hate hearing it. I really hope you don't believe it. We live in a great country and I want us desperately to succeed. The problem is, there are dozens of other great countries, and no amount of misty-eyed patriotism can help us compete with countries that many, no doubt, think we are superior to. Our economy is huge, largely by virtue of the City of London and North Sea oil. The City of London is becoming less and less attractive to Financial Services, and North Sea Oil is going to be worthless in the not-so-distant future. Our productivity as a country is atrocious and nowhere near competitive enough. Eventually it's go to to tell.

I think Clints point is that there are some people who still have not accepted the result and are wishing it to fail instead of making the best of where we are at, present company excepted and not meant maliciously to anybody who may have a different view of the outcome but wants it to be as good as it can be

I think Clints point is that there are some people who still have not accepted the result and are wishing it to fail instead of making the best of where we are at, present company excepted and not meant maliciously to anybody who may have a different view of the outcome but wants it to be as good as it can be

I'll be honest and say I wish it wasn't happening, not because of any great love of the EU, but precisely because I struggle to see how we can compete and prosper. Regardless of the result I want this country to succeed. After all, it's Joe Public that suffers the most when things aren't going well.

British-owned car companies, Bristol, Morgan, Caterham, Ginetta, TVR and McLaren try and get one of these cars without a waiting list and thats just the car section without looking at the other items manufactured in this country. We still have some very desirable products in this country

THE UK leads in loads of stuff... medicine,science, aerospace.
I've worked in both aerospace/composites and the last ten years manufacture of medical dressings/application...the research and innovation and products I've seen HAS been world class.
Mars is far away...and making the lives of sick people better doesn't need much else saying really.

The thing is are the ones that keep saying the UK is rubbish and doomed wanted to stay in the EU?

It's not about Britain making great things or people 'trash talking' (to use an Americanism) the UK, come Jan 2021 frictionless trade ends, which will load significant extra costs onto these British manufacturing company's. How will these companies remain profitable remains the question (one answer is to up sticks and move to the EU )

Still cant get this vision of hundreds of 3 wheeler morgans stuck in a miles long tailback on the M1 out of my head.

Er ... we don't have a poor view of the country we live in, but we do remember what it was like before we joined the EEC (EU). I'm old enough to remember the Cod Wars of the 1950's & 60's (after we had denuded our own seas of fish), the "three day week" and even a lack of toilet paper. Happy Days? I think not.

Also, packing our bags and buggering off will not be possible for us because A. We won't have a European Health Insurance Card with a "No Deal Brexit" and B. The cost of insurance soars to stupid levels when you get past 75 years old.

The saying "Lions lead by Donkeys" has never been more true than the UK today!

The original European project started with the steel industry in 1948, the French vetoed us joining not once but twice, we were then taken in by Ted Heath without a vote, we then had a vote and voted to stay without all the ***** we have had for the last 3 years we excepted the result, I will never vote to be ruled by unelected people I have never heard of, if you went on the streets with a list of the people who run the eu I would bet over 90% of people wouldn't have a clue who they are or what they do for a living, Federica Mogherini, without using google what is her role, Ursula von der Layen This a good read of our new leader of the eu https://www.politico.eu/article/ursula-von-der-leyen-biography-career-inconvenient-truth/ people need to study the eu project and all it stands for, I for one will never ever vote for them, o forgot you cant

The original European project started with the steel industry in 1948, the French vetoed us joining not once but twice, we were then taken in by Ted Heath without a vote, we then had a vote and voted to stay without all the ***** we have had for the last 3 years we excepted the result, I will never vote to be ruled by unelected people I have never heard of, if you went on the streets with a list of the people who run the eu I would bet over 90% of people wouldn't have a clue who they are or what they do for a living, Federica Mogherini, without using google what is her role, Ursula von der Layen This a good read of our new leader of the eu https://www.politico.eu/article/ursula-von-der-leyen-biography-career-inconvenient-truth/ people need to study the eu project and all it stands for, I for one will never ever vote for them, o forgot you cant

Sorry, you lost me at 'The.'

How is any of that related to Post Brexit food standards????????

Er ... we don't have a poor view of the country we live in, but we do remember what it was like before we joined the EEC (EU). I'm old enough to remember the Cod Wars of the 1950's & 60's (after we had denuded our own seas of fish), the "three day week" and even a lack of toilet paper. Happy Days? I think not.

I wasn't old enough to remember the plague but I am fairly sure like the things above they are not going return anytime soon due to us leaving the EU.

And therein lies the problem. Most Europeans (and I do get to see quite a few Germans, Dutch, French and Belgians at our holiday cottage) do know who these people are as they take an interest. Outside every town hall, in France you'll see the national, regional and European flags. Every project that is funded from the European pool (to which we contribute) has a plaque to that effect. People know the benefits, but in the UK they're hidden, there's no sense of belonging, we're in the game but we won't get on our feet and play. From this side of the Channel it's weird and incomprehensible. The ghastly unwieldy machine which are the European governing and legislative bodies has its elected people, the MEPs and it's appointed section, in the UK we call the latter Civil Servants and we don't complain that we didn't elect them. Like in the UK they carry out the will of the elected heads of state and the Parliament. We have been conditioned to hate Europe by the tabloid lies and the false news that Boris has been writing in his column in the Telegraph for years.
"People need to study the European project and all it stands for." Couldn't agree more. Too late now, though.
Final thought on this post: How many of us got to vote for Dominic Cummings?

Last edited:

They aren't unelected. We voted only last year...

I can assure you that the vast majority of our electorate couldn't tell you what say, Marcus Jones MP does or who he is. It's not a good measure of democracy.

The remoteness of the EU is an issue, but it doesn't help us that for the best part of the last 20 years we've elected (yes!) too many MEPs who have zero interest in engaging and representing our country on the continent, and had a Prime Minister in Blair who signed up to ever Charter put under his nose. We did have a say in all of these decisions.

I wasn't old enough to remember the plague but I am fairly sure like the things above they are not going return anytime soon due to us leaving the EU.

Not so subtle difference there...

Cod wars had everything to do with trade agreements. The plague; not so much.

Speaking of Domonic Cummings,I also seem to remember people like A.Campbell and other "spin doctors" wielding huge powers and influence during the new labour years.
Some of the MPs lived in fear of these people.

Regardless of party its just not right.
The people who we elect should be in charge not the trained hounds.

Regardless of party its just not right.
The people who we elect should be in charge not the trained hounds.

Hi John I think the trained hounds are the ones with the brains, not the people elected they are just good narraters

It seems to me that both are right, and at the same time contradictory. The trouble is that you need no particular qualification or training to be a minister, prime or otherwise, and yet the job carries massive responsibility needs more qualities and qualifications than just a big gob.

To get back on topic, I'm hoping our chips will improve when we get back to shallow frying them in lard instead of all this imported GM vegetable oil. And the sooner the better.

Back