Post Brexit food standards,,,

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why not make your own wines.
If you have got the space and time
Truth is a nice "made it myself wine" is quite good for social standing.

But to address the point about France. Yes i have had many buisness trips there some of them were with winemaking concerns and i have to say they really do know how to make wine.
French wine is the stuff of legend and i have to say i have never tasted better wine than in France.
I have had great times with Dutch/German hosts showing off the national drinks.
But for the out and out purist its France. (People who like wine REALLY need to know how the grading system works.)

A few years ago i took on a rescue cat who later saved my life.
His welfare is my priorty above all else (Sad but true)

Truth is our decendants will set the future.
I am quite happy with that.Exept for one thing and that is " if one fails to learn the lesson of history one is doomed to make the same mistakes."

I watch with all the time in the world.

Companys that want to succeed will get off their arses and do just that, or they can find out what being made redundant feels like, doesn't take them 5 mins to do that, this is when you find out if your top brass are worth what you pay them
I had to know Walter Wintles poem, "Thinking" off by heart. Would serve others well to memorise this poem. Especially the English cricketers.
If you think you are rooted then you are.

One cause of concern is: imagine the Netherlands do a lot of trade with the UK. If there develops a trade agreement, it might be beneficial for both countries. But because the EU has been so kind to put one of the Dutch redundant politicians in a top position (Frans "thousand billion" Timmermans), the current dutch gouvernment might not do what is in the best interest for the dutch or British people.

Being in the EU is like being in a bad marriage: you can always expect punishment, and it's always your fault. I worry about the Brexit, but agree.

One cause of concern is: imagine the Netherlands do a lot of trade with the UK. If there develops a trade agreement, it might be beneficial for both countries. But because the EU has been so kind to put one of the Dutch redundant politicians in a top position (Frans "thousand billion" Timmermans), the current dutch gouvernment might not do what is in the best interest for the dutch or British people.

Being in the EU is like being in a bad marriage: you can always expect punishment, and it's always your fault. I worry about the Brexit, but agree.
In Britain's shoes I would not worry, the EU is between a rock and a hard place. Of course it wants to continue the relationship with Britain, but doesn't want to appear forgiving to any country which wishes to leave. What is the worse thing that can happen? Absolutely nothing.

So when are we actually leaving? I thought it was the 31st of January, but now I read that is only when the papers are signed and the real date is December 31st 2020. Both sides have time to argue until then?

It feels like at the end of January the sign will start flashing to put on your life jackets. You had realised something was wrong a while ago but nobody believed you. Now the sign starts flashing people are starting to panic.:D

So when are we actually leaving? I thought it was the 31st of January, but now I read that is only when the papers are signed and the real date is December 31st 2020. Both sides have time to argue until then?

It feels like at the end of January the sign will start flashing to put on your life jackets. You had realised something was wrong a while ago but nobody believed you. Now the sign starts flashing people are starting to panic.:D

We officially leave on the 31st Jan but theres a transition period to 31/12/20 whereby we can argue with the EU about trade agreements. We're still member during the transition period but have no say in any decisions

Re AnAnkou Its a quality and grading system set up in the 1930s i think.
Its all a bit long winded to post but i checked on google for you.There is lots of info.

Re AnAnkou Its a quality and grading system set up in the 1930s i think.
Its all a bit long winded to post but i checked on google for you.There is lots of info.
Thanks, I'll check it out again. My first attempt didn't produce much. Not a great lover of French wine, preferring New World wines, which seem to me much richer and lusher £ for £ (or € for €) especially NZ Marlborough. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong price bracket. More research needed.

A fine way of putting things. Though where the Netherlands not 1 of 2 or 3 other countries at the time we voted to leave the EU also considering holding such a referendum of there own?.

And if some countries have gone public about touting a referendum of their own membership in the last few years you can be sure there will be others also considering the same yet currently remain silent, in which case you have to ask why?

Of cause, to be seen to be given such an easy time to leave would help push other countries minds up and be counterproductive to the future of the EU. But then again the way the EU has dealt with things and the UK since is, in my opinion, also counterproductive to the future of the EU. And if anything exposes the way the EU is run and governed by those at the top and how as a group they have ruled with a rod of iron as to how the EU as a whole should be run and governed even if a sort of one for all set of laws, policies and agreements (that are dictated by the few) are not good for all member countries. If we as a country become stronger in 10 years time than we are today, as a former EU nation it would more expose that the current way the EU is run is simply not fit for purpose. Which is why I feel the EU will likely use bully boy like tactics to stop the UK doing the deals they want to become a better & stronger country.

I may be wrong, I don't know but the next few years after we leave I suspect will show how the EU behaves with regards to the future of both sides, member and non member countries.

Which is why I feel the EU will likely use bully boy like tactics to stop the UK doing the deals they want to become a better & stronger country.

But what bully boy tactic would those be? Once we've left, we've left. They cant do anything to us, we can do whatever deals we like with whomever we like. However if we want to trade with the EU we have to abide by EU rules else no FTA. It's the way things work. A country of 65 million cannot dictate to a trade bloc of 450 million. A country that does 45% off its exports, whereas the exports going the other way are smaller (I believe 18% )cannot dictate terms. It's the way trade works the world over. It one of the points of the EU. So the smaller countries in the EU, can work as a bloc and compete on an equal footing with other large trade blocs such as the US. To give you another example, I read that switzerland did a FTA with China. China can access the Swiss markets straight away, whereas the swiss could not access the chinese markets for five years. This is the power of consumer numbers. There's no 'bullying' or 'punishing' about it. As soon as we leave we are competition.

But what bully boy tactic would those be? Once we've left, we've left. They cant do anything to us, we can do whatever deals we like with whomever we like. However if we want to trade with the EU we have to abide by EU rules else no FTA. It's the way things work. A country of 65 million cannot dictate to a trade bloc of 450 million. A country that does 45% off its exports, whereas the exports going the other way are smaller (I believe 18% )cannot dictate terms. It's the way trade works the world over. It one of the points of the EU. So the smaller countries in the EU, can work as a bloc and compete on an equal footing with other large trade blocs such as the US. To give you another example, I read that switzerland did a FTA with China. China can access the Swiss markets straight away, whereas the swiss could not access the chinese markets for five years. This is the power of consumer numbers. There's no 'bullying' or 'punishing' about it. As soon as we leave we are competition.
Then I stand corrected, of sorts. But the way I've seen things the EU has hardly been open to "negotiations" in the last few years for a real deal on leaving. And I don't see any post leaving trade arrangements being any different. As everything will I feel be more beneficial to the EU as a group than any genuinely mutual trade relationship with equal benefits on both sides, not slanted more on one.

Then I stand corrected, of sorts. But the way I've seen things the EU has hardly been open to "negotiations" in the last few years for a real deal on leaving. And I don't see any post leaving trade arrangements being any different. As everything will I feel be more beneficial to the EU as a group than any genuinely mutual trade relationship with equal benefits on both sides, not slanted more on one.

Since the 2016 referendum everything has been about the withdrawal agreement and what that was going to look like. Not trade agreements. Trade agreements come now.
I dont know why you would think benefits would be equal on both side.. Look at the recent trade war's between china and the US, a trade war between trade blocs, both side angling for advantage. The EU is a trade bloc. It will look for advantage over it's competitors (us).
I dont think people get when we leave the EU we are competition so the EU will look for any advantage it can get for it's own side.Were not (in) a trade block so dont have the leverage of one. We will also be desperate for FTA's. The EU know this and will leverage it for to their advantage. So of course things will be more beneficial for the EU. Itsnothing personal, just business (trade)

Since the 2016 referendum everything has been about the withdrawal agreement and what that was going to look like. Not trade agreements. Trade agreements come now.
I dont know why you would think benefits would be equal on both side.. Look at the recent trade war's between china and the US, a trade war between trade blocs, both side angling for advantage. The EU is a trade bloc. It will look for advantage over it's competitors (us).
I dont think people get when we leave the EU we are competition so the EU will look for any advantage it can get for it's own side.Were not (in) a trade block so dont have the leverage of one. We will also be desperate for FTA's. The EU know this and will leverage it for to their advantage. So of course things will be more beneficial for the EU. Itsnothing personal, just business (trade)
It's so refreshing to see that someone actually "gets" it!
That's the way it goes for trade. But what about industry? If some manufacturers can no longer get the materials or components they need on time or at the price they need to remain competitive, then they'll go out of business creating unemployment of their staff. Those newly-unemployed may be lucky enough to find another job, or not. Up till now they have had the whole of Europe to look for work in, but no more auf wiedersehen pet! Can they get their bits and pieces from Australia or China or the US? Not quickly or cheaply or "carbon-light"ly. Can they go and work in those places? Nope.
None of this will be Europe's fault. It's just the way WE'VE chosen that they should be.
The Express et al would have it otherwise though. aheadbutt

Last edited:
It's so refreshing to see that someone actually gets it!

I wasnt even really aware of the EU before the referendum. I've Been doing lots of reading since then though.

To add to what I wrote in response to @Dave 666 how much the EU sees us as a competitor will depend on how closely we decide to align (or indeed diverge) from the EU. In the past couple of days sajid javid has said we will diverge from the EU, then yesterday he said "we wont diverge just for the sake of it" so God knows what's going to happen in the end

Agriculture is an area we could go down wildly different paths, we could try to stick close to the status quo and subsidise farmers in a similar way to the EU does currently and keep tariffs for non RU products similar and get a free or close to free trade agreement of food products with the EU. We could go more protectionist and subsidise our farmers more and or impose large tariffs on food we can produce here or we could say theres not big money in farming and we should take advantage of cheaper produce both from the EU where its subsidised and over produced plus meat from Brazil, New Zealand, Thailand etc. and let British produce become more of a luxury premium product, and consumers can get the lowest possible prices.

We could go more protectionist and subsidise our farmers more and or impose large tariffs on food we can produce here

We'd be buggered if we did that. I believe (someone correct me if Im wrong) we get about 45% of our food from the EU. If we imposed tarriffs they'd just reply in kind, which would devastate farming. Talking of which we better hope we dont just have a FTA with the US as I dont think we can sell them anything more than they do already and they'd just itching to expand they're (agricultural) market into ours

God knows what's going to happen in the end

God just told me He hasn't got a clue and, what's more, He couldn't give a porcupine's pisser. Prefers not to interfere these days as the people voted for free will and, well, you know, "the will of the people is sovereign".
A complete cop-out if you ask me. If this is the sort of attitude that comes down from On High then no wonder we're knee deep in it.

Latest posts

Back