Post Brexit food standards,,,

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wrong. The vote was Leave 52%, Remain 48%, which means the vote was to remain. It's called democracy. I explained all this in a post several months ago, but the censor didn't like it and removed it.

No the censor didn't remove it because he didn't like it you broke the no Brexit discussion rule (which was still in place at the time) and I explained this at the time, its not the first time you have accused me of censoring that post I do hope its the last.

Last edited:
started on food standard, finished on old "Brexit" and reason for i. Maybe this thread run it course?
@Druncan posted a valid concern to start the ball rolling on this one, but future food standards as a topic of beer-fuelled debate in the Snug was always going to be massively speculative as we just don't know what trade agreements are going to be negotiated with the EU and, after that, with any other countries. What's more, Boris doesn't either! One thing's for sure, he won't be in No 10 for very long if he lets us go hungry or food prices rise significantly, and if we start importing loads of GM "Frankenfoods", chlorinated chicken, or three-headed dogs then the tabloids are going to jump all over that. They don't give a tosss as long as there's something to be "furious" about on the front page. So I reckon a lot of Boris' bluster is going turn out to be just that and we'll end up with some sort of standards alignment. Still, prediction is a dangerous game; wasn't it Chippy who said we wouldn't be getting the plague back? Well just look at what's rolling in from the East!

But why cant we sell them non GM organic stuff at an over inflated price now? Our market is tiny compared to theirs of course but it's still expansion for them at little to no cost.

Thats the thing about brexit. I'm unaware of anything we can do after we leave the EU that we cant do now, but we give ourselves massive disadvantages being out side the EU because were so small on our own
We could do it now but theres alot of red tape to go through and tariffs (mainly 25% on food products) that would go away with the right trade deal.

started on food standard, finished on old "Brexit" and reason for i. Maybe this thread run it course?
Totally agree I am fed up of seeing this thread pop up as new and opening it to find that 52% was a remain vote ?What happened to the good old beer threads?

"Britain is prepared to permit imports of chlorinated chicken from the US but will slap high tariffs on cheaply-

produced food in order to minimise the impact on British farmers.

The latest Government proposal for a trade deal with the US is for a "dual tariff" regime that imposes different levels of duty on imported foods, depending on whether they comply with UK animal welfare standards.

Hormone-fed beef, chlorinated chicken and other foods that use techniques banned in Britain will be allowed across the Atlantic, but ministers want to use tariffs to make it uneconomical for US producers to export them to the UK."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/06/03/britain-ready-allow-import-chlorinated-chicken-us/
I wonder if those "high tariffd" will be sneakily lowered when noone is watching

Oh and apperently 14.7% of Americans suffer from food borne illness whilst it's 1.5%in the UK (think that might change when the chlorochook gets over here)

It should never happen that we accept lower standards when we have farmers that produce some of the best food in the world. Why buy expensive US **** when you can buy British. I suspect one of two scenarios
1. It will be sold at a lower cost than British
2. It will have misleading or no source information.

It should never happen that we accept lower standards when we have farmers that produce some of the best food in the world. Why buy expensive US **** when you can buy British. I suspect one of two scenarios
1. It will be sold at a lower cost than British
2. It will have misleading or no source information.

It may well be both.

I suspect over the next few years we are all about to see the REAL "project fear"

I suspect it will be more like "project reality"

The interesting thing about this whole lowering food standards is, Im assuming the government are doing it so we can get a free trade agreement (FTA) with the US. However we wont be able to have a FTA with the US if we have a no deal brexit as this breaks the good friday agreement (GFA). Nancy Pelosi (speaker of the house of representatives) has stated quite clearly there will be no FTA with the UK if we break the GFA.

Why would be be persuing a ND brexit you may ask? Well it certainly looks that way. Even today Barnier said there has been "no significant areas of progress" and Frost on our side said progress was "limited". So Im not quite sure that the Government are up to as we haven't got much time till 31st Jan 2021 and BJ has repeatedly said there will be no extension to the transition period

Lets face it MyQul we are being led like lambs to the slaughter.
By people who could not give a hoot about the average citizen,As long as sufficient sheeple are still around at the next election.
Who gives a damm.

Back