Posting bottles, Glass, Plastic and all different sizes?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocAnna

Queen's Knot Brewing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Usually I have some spare amazon or other boxes around which I can fit a bottle or so in to post but I'm looking for something a bit quicker to package and more consistent. I found this previous thread but the links included now 404 out Posting Bottles

So I'm keen to gather the collective wisdom on packaging for sending beer onto others: Plastic? Glass? Options for up to three bottles maybe, secure oh and low cost if purchasing at all? My thoughts on the ideal packaging would be a flat box with dividers to take up to three 330ml bottles, preferably double walled, that would be within the small RM small parcel size?

Anna.

I have sent glass in the past but hate doing so. I’d recommend plastic for sending. Minimal packaging needed then. Also, Im pretty sure the weight of three full glass bottles takes them into the medium parcel category so if you get to this point, it’s cheaper to use “parcel to go” or similar than RM.

You can post 3 X 500ml plastic second class for 3.20. personally I just bubble wrap then cover with a posting bag ( any bag will do ). Just to stick the label on.
Glass bottles you can get 1x 500ml + 1x330 ml into a standard shoe box with enough bubble wrap to protect. This again is 3.20 second class post.
At a push you can fit 3x 330ml bottles into a shoe box. The weight had to be below 2kg. Once above 2kg it gets experience. Remember 2kg for second class, first class post I think it's around 1kg.

Loads of dedicated boxes for sending beer on eBay.

Personally I prefer beer from glass bottle. One common theme in the recent forum competition was the lower scoring beers were from plastic bottles

Loads of dedicated boxes for sending beer on eBay.

Personally I prefer beer from glass bottle. One common theme in the recent forum competition was the lower scoring beers were from plastic bottles

Yes, slightly off topic but I find that too, I do use some plastic bottles to gauge carbonation but they get drunk first, it defo doesn't keep as well.

In terms o f posting, I usually send glass in shoe boxes you can fit 2 in there, lots of bubblewrap and padding.

I prefer glass as well but the plastic is handy for bottling of a keg without the need for an expensive bottling gun. Short term use should not be a problem

Having looked at this, I reckon a 222 x150 x88 internal dimensions should work for two bottles including bubble wrap - going to see if I can pick some of these up and report back 😃.

If you use a courier like parcel2go, they are more flexible on parcel sizes, I recently sent 6 509ml plastic bottles of beer to a mate for about £3.50, for some reason they don't like liquids, so I sent scrap boiler spares.

Usually I have some spare amazon or other boxes around which I can fit a bottle or so in to post but I'm looking for something a bit quicker to package and more consistent. I found this previous thread but the links included now 404 out Posting Bottles

So I'm keen to gather the collective wisdom on packaging for sending beer onto others: Plastic? Glass? Options for up to three bottles maybe, secure oh and low cost if purchasing at all? My thoughts on the ideal packaging would be a flat box with dividers to take up to three 330ml bottles, preferably double walled, that would be within the small RM small parcel size?

Anna.

I use a shoe box or a pringles tube with a spacer inside and bubble wrap outside. Always used glass but find that 3x330 bottled is 990g plus the bottle weight makes I though to get 3 in under 2kg. I weight my empty bottles because there can be 50g or so difference in them which can make a difference in staying under the limit

These are the ones I went for in the end, fold together and comfortably fit a couple of 330 bottles with bubble wrap. I think they'll also fit 500ml bottles as well but I'd need to double check that. I've used these to send some beers to several people recently and it certainly simplified sending: Brown postal boxes
1626880185053.png

Latest posts

Back