Pot Size.for BIAB

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
I was thinking about (if cost justifies) possibly giving biab a try. This step up from extract brewing appeals.but only if cost isn't too much of an issue. I would therefore like to know the absolute bare minimum size of pot I would need to be able to make enough wort for 23l batches. Tyvm

I do fine with a 56 litre kettle making anywhere from 18 to 26 litres of wort per BIAB brew. If I'm making a really big beer, the kettle is nearly filled to the rim.

Depends if you sparge or not, I don't and max I can comfortably brew is about 18L starting with around 24L water in a 38L pan.
You need to allow for displacement with grain, in my case usually around 5kg.
Have a look on gumtree etc. I' d advise getting the biggest pan you can, I picked up a 70L one from someone on here for about 40 quid though I've not use it yet.
With that amount of grain you need some sort of pulley to lift the wet bag.
You can also brew strong and liquor back to get more volume from a smaller pan.

You would be ok with a smaller pan if you use a plastic bucket for any sparge by transferring the the bag to say a plastic FV and kettle sparge is another option

So what size would be fine if I sparge into a plastic FV?
Would sitting the bag on a wire rack be fine then spare with kettles of boiling water?
Would pouring the water through a colander then onto the bag be beneficial or waste of time?
Also on average how many kettles full would be recommended to do this?

You don't have to brew 23L, when I started I was doing 12L BIAB brews in a 15L pan, just use some brewing software to size your recipes.

In fact, I still do this, but factor 1kg DME into my recipes as well as the grain which allowed me to brew greater volumes: reduced-volume boil topped up in the FV to around 20L.

One of the things with BIAB is the size/weight of the grain, I find I'm comfortable handling 3kg max of grain as lifting it out on the hob once wet and hot can be an issue.

or another option to what Sandimas has said is to brew a shorter length with a smaller pot at a higher SG and liquor back in the FV to 23 litres if you are struggling pot size

I use a 23L kettle to make c. 19 - 20L volume in the FV, accepting I'll lose 2L to trub in the FV.

I mash the grain in the bag in 17.5L in the kettle. Move the kettle to the floor to lift the bag carefully and dunk sparge in c. 8L of hot water in the FV. Put the sparge water back in the kettle and top up to 23L with dechlorinated water if necessary. On a 60 minute boil this will reduce to about 20L.

The trick is to know your numbers for grain absorption and boil loss. It's a bit trial and error, but once you have those factors, a simple spreadsheet helps you calculate back from final target volume.

Ty for all the replies very helpful but on reflection might partial extract/mini mash be a better option for me? Finances and space are very much a deciding factor for me. I have currently a 10l stainless steel pot. This obviously would not be big enough to brew 23 litre batches of homebrew. I know it would be for smaller amounts but I really would like to make 5 gallon batches if possible. Am I correct in believing doing the partial extract means a smaller pot would be required and if so would a 10l pot be big enough?
All grain and all the equipment, time, space etc is a no no for me but I think Id like to try something just a bit more than just extract. Thats the reason I thought BIAB would be ideal where I could juts boil my grains in a pot and bobs your uncle. Obviously what I hadnt taken into consideration was the amount of grains and size of pot it would require. So for 1 10l pot would you think partial extract brewing would be a god option? Look forward to replies. Thank you once again for all yoru input its grately appreciated . Cheers

Back