Potential wine make

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robpalmer.

Reaction score
Thanks for accepting me, just looking for a "starting from scratch" kit to make red wine
Rob from Weston-Under-Lizard

Welcome to the forum Rob.

Getting a good red wine from a kit is a bit of a challenge (unlike Rose or white) so the rule of thumb is buy the most expensive one you can afford.

I found this on forum sponsor @BenParr (KegThat.com) site it'll give you some idea what is out there -

https://kegthat.com/red-please-but-which-one/

Which red wine kit?

Winebuddy 6 bottle 7-day Merlot (£9.99) Soft plum flavours.

Magnum 30 bottle Dry Red (£18) A budget wine kit with the least amount of grape juice in it. But that does mean it’ll make the lightest tasting red.

Soloman Grundy 30 bottle 7-day Gold Shiraz (£24.99) The 7-day wine kits are designed to be low in tannin so that you can drink them as soon as you’ve made them and not put them aside for a few months to mellow.

Cellar 7 30 bottle Italian red (£33.50) Easy drinking plum and cherry flavours with little tannin.

Cantina 28 bottle 5-day Red (£33.95) Similar in flavour to Italian Chianti. So expect sharp and fruity flavours with some mouth-drying tannins. But it’ll be a good match to your pizzas.

Cellar 7 30 bottle Spanish Rojo (£35) Notice the similar spelling to that famous Spanish red Rioja? Well they can’t call it that as you’ll be making the wine and not a Spanish winemaker. But it’ll taste something like it with smooth fruitiness and some tannin.

On The House 30 bottle Pinot Noir (£44.99) Whether you buy a vineyard-made French red Burgundy or make it yourself, a Pinot Noir is a niche-flavoured red because of its earthy taste that comes with the cherry. If you’ve not sure if you like Pinot Noir then try buying a ready-made one from the supermarket first.

Beaverdale 30 bottle Chateau Du Roi (£45) lots of fruity flavours with oaky creaminess but little tannin – a nice compromise.

Beaverdale 30 bottle Cabernet Sauvignon (£45) Blackberry and cherry flavours with a bit of spiciness and higher levels of mouth-drying tannin. You might want to but this wine aside for a few months before you drink it to allow the tannins to soften and smooth out.

WinExpert Classic 30 bottle Australian Grenache Shiraz Mouvedre (£52.95) Top of the range kit with blackberry, dark chocolate and spicy flavours. There’ll be some tannin too to make this taste like the Aussie reds you buy in the shops.

WinExpert Classic 30 bottle Chilean Malbec (£52.95) The Malbec grape juice in this kit will make a wine tasting of blackberry, plum and spice. So like a mix of Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot.

Last edited:
I found this on forum sponsor @BenParr (KegThat.com) site it'll give you some idea what is out there -

https://kegthat.com/red-please-but-which-one/

Which red wine kit?

Winebuddy 6 bottle 7-day Merlot (£9.99) Soft plum flavours.

Magnum 30 bottle Dry Red (£18) A budget wine kit with the least amount of grape juice in it. But that does mean it’ll make the lightest tasting red.

Soloman Grundy 30 bottle 7-day Gold Shiraz (£24.99) The 7-day wine kits are designed to be low in tannin so that you can drink them as soon as you’ve made them and not put them aside for a few months to mellow.

Cellar 7 30 bottle Italian red (£33.50) Easy drinking plum and cherry flavours with little tannin.

Cantina 28 bottle 5-day Red (£33.95) Similar in flavour to Italian Chianti. So expect sharp and fruity flavours with some mouth-drying tannins. But it’ll be a good match to your pizzas.

Cellar 7 30 bottle Spanish Rojo (£35) Notice the similar spelling to that famous Spanish red Rioja? Well they can’t call it that as you’ll be making the wine and not a Spanish winemaker. But it’ll taste something like it with smooth fruitiness and some tannin.

On The House 30 bottle Pinot Noir (£44.99) Whether you buy a vineyard-made French red Burgundy or make it yourself, a Pinot Noir is a niche-flavoured red because of its earthy taste that comes with the cherry. If you’ve not sure if you like Pinot Noir then try buying a ready-made one from the supermarket first.

Beaverdale 30 bottle Chateau Du Roi (£45) lots of fruity flavours with oaky creaminess but little tannin – a nice compromise.

Beaverdale 30 bottle Cabernet Sauvignon (£45) Blackberry and cherry flavours with a bit of spiciness and higher levels of mouth-drying tannin. You might want to but this wine aside for a few months before you drink it to allow the tannins to soften and smooth out.

WinExpert Classic 30 bottle Australian Grenache Shiraz Mouvedre (£52.95) Top of the range kit with blackberry, dark chocolate and spicy flavours. There’ll be some tannin too to make this taste like the Aussie reds you buy in the shops.

WinExpert Classic 30 bottle Chilean Malbec (£52.95) The Malbec grape juice in this kit will make a wine tasting of blackberry, plum and spice. So like a mix of Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot.
Thats really helpful, thanks

Welcome to the forum Rob, I've not been a member long but the help and advice on here is amazing as im sure you'll find.
My first red kit i made was a Solomon Grundy Cabernet Sauvigon which came out crystal clear, a dark red and was very drinkable. I'm now looking at WineExpert 6 bottle kits of Merlot and Malbec. They average about £15 to £16

Happy brewing. 😎🍷🥂

Welcome to the forum Rob, I've not been a member long but the help and advice on here is amazing as im sure you'll find.
My first red kit i made was a Solomon Grundy Cabernet Sauvigon which came out crystal clear, a dark red and was very drinkable. I'm now looking at WineExpert 6 bottle kits of Merlot and Malbec. They average about £15 to £16

Happy brewing. 😎🍷🥂
Thats good to hear, my first attempt is going to be Solomon Grundy Merlot 30 bottle.
I would love to hear how you get on with the WineExpert
Thanks
Rob

Thats good to hear, my first attempt is going to be Solomon Grundy Merlot 30 bottle.
I would love to hear how you get on with the WineExpert
Thanks
Rob
No worries, wil let you know. Will be starting it in a few weeks. It's the Malbec one i have. Also got a Beaverdale Shiraz wil be starting at the same time. Am trying a cheaper one which has just finished fermenting which is a Wilco Cabernet Sauvignon. Will be interesting to compare cheap to med expensive. Let us know how you get on with your Merlot. Have read on here that 30 bottle kits turn out better than the 6 bottle ones. 😎🍷( all mine have been 6 bottle )

Latest posts

Back