Potentially silly question...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillonstewart

Reaction score
Hi guys, I bottled a batch of Cooper's real ale made with brew enhancer and primed with carbonation drops.

It is my first homebrew beer that I've ever bottled. Previously I've always brewed straight into the pressure barrel. Due to a non-delivered bottle capper and the delays that caused, the beer sat in the PF vessel for probably three or four weeks and was therefore almost clear at bottling time.

My potentially silly question is... The beer was bottled on Saturday. I imagined that the beer would get cloudy again as the yeast multiplied and would settle on the bottoms of the bottles after another month or so then they would be ready to drink.

So far the clarity of the beer has improved with a very slight haze at the bottom of the bottles where a suggestion of a sediment is forming.

Is this normal or should I be getting cloudiness first?

The bottles are all in the living room still as it's the warmest part of the house..... I keep getting shouted at to move them. I plan on putting them all in a cold fridge in the shed after four weeks or so. Could/should this be brought forward or left longer?

Thanks, sorry if this is such a basic question but it's my first bottled batch.

Gill

Sounds normal to me, I would leave them somewhere warm for two weeks, then they can be moved somewhere cool to mature. So, if they have been in the warm for 4 weeks, they should be fine.

You have my permission to crack one open this evening to test for carbonation and to see how they are getting on, so pop one in the fridge now ;)

Yeah, sounds normal to me too. You might even find you take this approach (delaying bottling) routinely from now on to reduce the amount of sediment.

What you will get if you pour carefully without glugging is almost a full pint and then a bit of wispy sediment will flow toward the neck of the bottle. Stop before it gets into your beer for crystal clarity.

Two-weeks carbonation period is pretty much a minimum and three weeks might be better before you put the bottles somewhere cold.

As @marshbrewer says, you need to check a bottle periodically 😉

Thanks gents. So what I'm getting from those answers are that the beer is ready once they have all successfully been tested 😂😂

It's only been four days since bottling so I'll be good and hold off my first "carbonation test" until Saturday when it'll have had a full seven days.

Cheers

African as they are a fair bit heavier ;)
Apparently between 8,818-13,889 pounds

So if we take the average as 10,000 pounds and before anyone else asks a silly question, the average chicken weighs 5 pounds - so that means an elephant weighs 2000 times more than a chicken

However, a hen's egg weighs on average 1.75 ounces but try as I might on t'internet I can't find how much an elephant's egg weighs - does anyone have any ideas here?

Ok, if there are no silly questions

How many chickens would it take to kill an elephant?
According to Wikipedia, the diameter of an elephant's trunk is 15cm at its widest part, such that one average chicken which would exceed 15cm in diameter inserted into the trunk would rapidly cause asphyxiation and death. However, a more interesting prospect is how many chickens would it take to kill an elephant with no form of assault. In this case as with all questions of how many x animals would it take to kill one animal, the answer is always two, one male, one female in the absence of an animal being carnivorous. Over time one single animal cannot reproduce, whereas two can, which means the two wins every time. (OK back to work Anna)

Unless you are one of these so the answer is one
1656492747691.png
1656492747691.png

According to Wikipedia, the diameter of an elephant's trunk is 15cm at its widest part, such that one average chicken which would exceed 15cm in diameter inserted into the trunk would rapidly cause asphyxiation and death. However, a more interesting prospect is how many chickens would it take to kill an elephant with no form of assault. In this case as with all questions of how many x animals would it take to kill one animal, the answer is always two, one male, one female in the absence of an animal being carnivorous. Over time one single animal cannot reproduce, whereas two can, which means the two wins every time. (OK back to work Anna)
A smart answer to a stupid question! 😂

Latest posts

Back