Pothole breakdown figures soar.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The roads round here are a right mess many holes have been temporarily repaired and fairly soon after being reported but the repair doesn't last long especially in freezing weather so i am not surprised to read this, if you want to report one you have seen - https://www.gov.uk/report-pothole

• Pothole-related breakdowns are on the rise in the UK.

During the final quarter of 2017 breakdowns caused by potholes increased by 11 per cent.

The RAC was called to 2,830 vehicles with faults likely caused by poor quality road surfaces between October and December, compared with 2,547 in the same period in 2016.

It was also reported by the firm that many of these roads were “hanging in the balance.”

The number of potholes in Britain could also rise in spring with cold and wet weather predicted to exacerbate the already poor road conditions.
There is a multitude of issues that can be caused by driving over potholes which include broken suspension springs, damaged shock absorbers and distorted wheels.

The RAC's pothole index, based on a 12-month rolling average of breakdown numbers, indicates that road quality has steadily declined over the last year and a half.

Its chief engineer David Bizley believes most drivers will view the figures with concern.

He said: “Potholes are a menace for drivers and indeed for all road users.

“They represent a serious road safety risk and anyone who has driven into one will know it can be a frightening experience, not to say a potentially costly one.

“For those on two wheels it can be genuinely life-threatening.“

Yesterday, it was announced that motorways and major A-roads in England are receiving 52 times more government repair funding per mile than local roads maintained by councils.

It called on the Government to reduce the disparity so councils can tackle the £12 billion repair bill to bring local roads up to scratch, including fixing more potholes.

Matt Dyer, managing director of LeasePlan UK commented: “The UK has suffered from road congestion and pitted surfaces for decades.

"Our roads are vital for helping businesses power the country through our challenging economic circumstances; so why should we have to settle for a failing network?

"The current approach is like putting a plaster over an open wound – it’s not sustainable or fixing the actual issue – that fact our transport infrastructure is in desperate need of an overhaul.

“The vehicle rental and leasing industry contributes around £25 billion a year to the UK economy and in 2017, the leasing industry alone accounted for more than half of the number of new cars registered on the road.

"If we are to encourage an uptake in electric and driverless vehicles, we need the roads to help keep us and our vehicles safe too. This means changing our approach to problems such as potholes which need banishing once and for all.”

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/909977/car-breakdowns-pothole-funding-slashed

I'm just grateful we don't get many sinkholes! But ye I once clocked a major pothole on me mobike and that cost me just south of three hundred notes for a new rear shocker! Tried claiming off the council to no avail.

Ugh, roads round here are like the surface of the moon. Not surprising if you watch them put down some fixes. Just a bit of gravel and sand before they tarmac it. That won't last through the wet and cold weather.

Cars are just weaving around the holes at the moment, also not safe

Its worse when it rains as they look like small puddles and if you do not know the road its difficult to avoid them especially when its dark.

Roads are just not getting repaired around with me. I don't know what the council think they are doing for the last 3 summers there have re-dressed roads with chippings. It causes so many accidents, damages cars and I hate taking my bike on them, oh and it reduces the speed limit to 20mph

I broke a wheel on one in December, the whole front came off of the inner bit and dented the rear wheel as well. The guys at the tyre place were seriously impressed as they had seen nothing like it before. I looked at claiming off the council but it looked a nightmare with a good chance of no success.

In Church Lane here in Skegness there is a hole in the road that has been "repaired" every six months for at least the last ten years! May I point out that it is NOT in the interests of a private company to make a permanent repair? In this case, the company has been paid at least TWENTY TIMES for ONE job.

This hole and many others were caused by the Power Company that installed the electricity cables from the Offshore Wind-Farm to the Sub-Station. They did such a **** job of repairing the road surface after they had finished their own work that the whole mile long stretch of road is an undulating mass of bad repairs and potholes.

Church Lane is now so bad that a year ago the Brylaine Bus Company refused to run buses along the route because of the damage being caused to them. As a result, a very well used bus route was cancelled.

I go to France regularly and the worst stretch of road between my house here in Skegness and the South of France is within 400 yards of my home!

Seriously folks, we HAVE to start wondering for whom this government is running the country! It sure as hell ain't me!:gulp:

“Hole!” said Mr. Polly, and then for a change, and with greatly increased emphasis: “’Ole!” He paused, and then broke out with one of his private and peculiar idioms. “Oh! Beastly Silly Wheeze of a Hole!”

Just saw this on my FB feed 1517048085962.jpg

Latest posts

Back