Power of sharing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChilledGecko

Zythophile, innit mate
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Indulge me a minute.
I started home brewing some 40 odd years ago, plastic buckets shoved into the heating cupboard curtesy of Boots.
Gave up, not surprising looking back.
Restarted less than a year ago.

The amount of kit available now is a magnitude greater than I was used to, and daunting in its choice.
However, the point of my rambling is that the availability of information available on t’internet and specifically forums like this is astounding when I consider it.
Sure, you have to invest some time in digging around and grasping an understanding of the state of play regarding the available approaches to home brewing but the returns are very rewarding.
This is all down to the individuals willingness to share knowledge and experiences, sometimes warts and all.
If everyone kept knowledge to themselves then I think that the state of the home brew hobby would be a lot poorer than it currently is.

Gentlemen and Ladies - charge your glasses and raise a toast to yourselves for a hobby well done! 🍺🍺

p.s. I may or may not be enjoying the fruits of my hobby at the current time....

Glass charged sir and raised.

I have a similar story to yourself and it didn't last as the end product was a bit hit and miss to say the least. I started again in 2010 and with the help of this forum/internet I started brewing AG and also premium kits, I now enjoy giving back info if I can as I know what it's like being a noobie. Cheers.

I started before Boots and when they came along with their wide range of decent kit and not bad cans, it was a godsend. My 5 pressure barrels are still in use as secondary fermentation barrels, I've no doubt they would still serve as pressure barrels, and I've still got one or two of their old hydrometers somewhere. I seem to remember that Boots also did an aluminium version of the pressure barrel. Never could afford one at the time. Great days.

Yep, I can concur with those sentiments @ChilledGecko, Boots started me off with their kits and equipment in the late 1970’s, Dave Line books among others, then tentatively started down the AG route after buying a Baby Burco boiler. Then not brewing fo about 40 years until the recent lockdown so have had to fully re-equip from zero.

As you rightly say, it’s a completely different hobby these days, much more professional in terms of ingredients, equipment and shared knowledge via the Internet especially this very forum.

So cheers from me acheers. :beer1:

Back