PPG and Diastatic power

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me the simplest way for making a dark beer is to follow Gordon Strong's advice, not only for a predictable beer but a smoother beer. Also the added bonus of the salt additions remain simple. Mash the fermentable grains and add the non fermentable at mash out.

For me the simplest way for making a dark beer is to follow Gordon Strong's advice, not only for a predictable beer but a smoother beer. Also the added bonus of the salt additions remain simple. Mash the fermentable grains and add the non fermentable at mash out.
Frees up the mash for Gordon to add another 20 different malts, too. ;)

The whole point of this thread is that BF treats all grains and adjuncts as fermentable.
Hopefully, despite me going off on one, you did take away that I was agreeing with you? All the un-necessary twaddle about "diastatic power" (okay, perhaps it is a precursor to something useful in future?) and "PPG" which belongs to a different world from this one (and I do know this .co.uk site is actually hosted offshore) is only useful for developing anxieties amongst it's users and not dealing with information the user could actually use (like what is and isn't fermentable). And it's not just BF (I haven't much used BF by-the-way).

OK the rookie with inquisitive minds and wherewithal to click on the associated question mark. Rewarded with an explanation and a cleaner looking interface.
I should have been a bit more precise with my rebuke. I was on about developers writing rubbish user interfaces, and I feel well positioned to make such comments 'cos I've spent a lifetime creating rubbish user interfaces! BrewersFriend developers (and other developers) should know many of their users are novices and present the novice stuff up front: Make the inquisitive minded, those with the wherewithal, and the experienced dig about for better explanation, not the other way around. But whizz-kids (like I was once) use user interfaces to show-off how clever they are (which results in useless user interfaces!).

I'll keep ranting until I finally get the kick up the bum I need to get on and cask/keg this beer which I should have done days ago. Then I can go back to being the normal placid soul that I am.

The whole point of this thread is that BF treats all grains and adjuncts as fermentable.
I think that was explained to you in Sadfields first post, the chocolate and roasted do contain a little fermentable sugars light crystal a bit more BF are obviously trying to predict any difference. As I stated you can enter the "non fermentables" on BF tick the box at the side as late addition and the box below tick mash and see the difference that BF is predicting. Try and keep things simple.

Yes the roasted malts are from unmalted grains and although not so fermentable themselves, they can increase the fermentability Of the wort Depending on your liquor profile due the the acidity they impart thus helping hit the right ph

All grains and adjuncts are fermentable, or should I say potentially, that's why they have a Potential Extract or PPG above zero. Will they convert on their own? unlikely. Will all yeasts ferment all the sugars converted from them? No.

Will they add to the OG and ABV if mashed with MO and fermented with a yeast that likes a bit of Maltotiose? Yes.

BF and any other software merely automates a few simple calculations. There's a large degree of 'your millage may vary' in every brewers process and ingredients too complex for it to account for.

Last edited:
Back