Prague best bars to sample?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Going to Prague for 3 days in November. I'm partial to the Czech beers that I've tried so far; Budweiser Budvar and it's dark version, Pilsner Urquell and Staropramen are all very good, well maybe not so much the Staropramen as I find it the poorest of these.
Has anyone been to Prague and been to any bars they would recommend? I should say that my wife is a gin lover, so any recommendations for a gin place would be welcome as well.

I loved Prague for beer for three reasons:

1) The beer is cheap
2) If you want another beer, you just give the barman a thumbs up and he brings you another
3) The "bar snacks" are fantastic - massive portions and low prices.

I have two bar recommendations (based on a weekend trip several years ago, so memory is a bit sketchy).

First is Tretters. Not beer at all but a great cocktail bar and not expensive. Great if you're over there wooing someone. Not one for drinks with the lads really.

The second is vkolkovne.cz which is just around the corner from Tretters. This place had massive plates of food and sold a light beer and dark beer that they would mix half-and-half if you wanted something in the middle! It's probably a bit of a tourist trap but was just an easy place to get on with.

Might also be worth peering in the window of Lokal (http://lokal-dlouha.ambi.cz/en/). I honestly don't remember much of the place as I'd had quite a few beers by then but recall it having something of a traditional beer drinking hall vibe, with some fairly hearty grub.

BTW, might be worth doing a search as I think there was a similar thread about a month ago. There's a forumite who lives/d in Prague who will probably be able to shoot down all my suggestions and point you to some better places!

I second both of darkbright's suggestions, U Tri Ruzi is a great little brew pub, their DIPA is fantastic, and the quad is pretty damn good too. The monastery has a good selection, look out especially for anything by Matuska, and the food there is also very good. It is a bit of a trek, but you can visit the castle and St Vitus cathedral while you're up there and the views are stunning.
There are a couple of more trendy craft beer bars where you can get tasting flights very reasonably priced but the names have escaped me just now.

It's been a few years since I was in Prague, but I would recommend trying the Gambrinus, which I found more drinkable than the Urquell and Budvar. I remember doing a guided walking tour of the historic pubs of Prague, which went to 3 or 4 pubs within easy reach of the astronomical clock in the main square.

I know Viator do a number of 2 and 3 hour excurions of Prague pubs at between £40 and £60. However, they seem to have shot themselves in the foot with the following article about the Top 10 cheapest places to drink. It seems that Prague comes top at £1.28p per pint - who needs a guided tour ?
https://tinyurl.com/yab3q9uz

It maybe worth buying "Good Beer Guide Prague and Czech Republic" at £6.54p Used Paperback. Also dead handy if you're killing time in an airport teminal. Haven't read the book but the Reviews are good.
https://tinyurl.com/y9suq77x

Pivovarsky Klub has a massive menu, with over 240 beers. It’s a bit hard to get a seat and I recall though as it’s small. Head to Florenc metro and walk down towards the opera house.

For a more traditional pub with good traditional Czech food, you can’t go wrong with U Vejvodu. Right in the Center, lots of space.

If you’re looking for a nice meal, the Municipal House, Cafe Slavia and Cafe Imperial are favourites.

If you want to get away from the tourists, I’m told that the Czech president used to life to goto U Hoffmanu near Kobylisy, which is a really traditional (as in basic, local, spit and sawdust, rather than old worldly) for roast duck. It’s a bit of a trek, so probably only worth it if you’re going to the botanical gardens at Kobylisy — the walk down into town is nice though.

If you avoid Vaclav Namesti you’ll usually find some nice beer and traditional food wherever you go though.

Latest posts

Back