Pre built pid temperature controller

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For accurate mash temperature control by PID you need one of these. Make sure you get the PT100 option with the 25A SSR. Avoid K-type thermocouples. K-types have an enormous temperature range more suited to industrial furnace controls than brewing but their real problem is that the standard accuracy of the probe is +/- 2.2C and the ADC in the measurement unit will contribute its own error meaning you could be up to 3C out on what it's telling you versus the true reading. PT100/thermistor technologies should be less than 1C out at the temperatures we care about.

ive ordered one of these for my FV, is there any setting up required or do i just plug my heater element in?

i'll get another for my HLT/ mash tun if all goes well

ive ordered one of these for my FV, is there any setting up required or do i just plug my heater element in?

i'll get another for my HLT/ mash tun if all goes well
Looking forward to hearing about this, I'm planning to get it for a mash tun as well after Christmas probably

Looking forward to hearing about this, I'm planning to get it for a mash tun as well after Christmas probably

I watched a YouTube video last night and it looks pretty simple. Though the fella suggested a different probe, a pt100, as the probe that comes with the unit is poor apparently

Hi!
I think you would be better off with a simple Inkbird temperature controller, like the 308 model, to control the FV. That would be "plug and play". The Inkbird will control up to 10 amps, plenty enough for a fridge and a tubular hear.
The PID and SSR combination will control up to 25 amps, ideal for HLT, RIMS mash tun and boil kettle, but they need wiring up and mounting in a project box.

Hi!
I think you would be better off with a simple Inkbird temperature controller, like the 308 model, to control the FV. That would be "plug and play". The Inkbird will control up to 10 amps, plenty enough for a fridge and a tubular hear.
The PID and SSR combination will control up to 25 amps, ideal for HLT, RIMS mash tun and boil kettle, but they need wiring up and mounting in a project box.
Thanks mate but I've already received the PID lol

Doesn't look too hard to wire up (hopefully :laugh8:)

Thanks mate but I've already received the PID lol

Doesn't look too hard to wire up (hopefully :laugh8:)

There is a setting where it will simply turn on and off just like an inkbird308 or stc1000. Its under "Ctrl" The sensor that comes with it is a bit **** though and not the ideal shape to tape onto an FV.

Does anyone have a simple wiring diagram that they could share. I have managed to kill 2 Inkbird PIDs (ITC-100VH) following the YouTube clip which was attached earlier in this thread and the wiring diagram attached.
pid_diagram.jpg

Hi @charlieabbotuk
I used this diagram:
aaaaaaPID wiring.jpg

It looks the same as yours.
The guy in the You Tube clip hasn't used a heat sink on the SSR.
I installed a fan in the project box to exhaust the hot air.
This is a diagram that I drew as an overview.
Wiring 2.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Galena, @Markgee has one or two for sale.
Nearly missed this as the forum did not notify me I had a reply, it seems to do that quite a bit. Hopefully I can get a response from @Markgee regarding this. Thanks for the cables link too. Out of curiosity does it need to control the pump? I thought if the pump just ran for the full mash and temperature would be controlled by the heater?

Latest posts

Back