The Football Thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
There is nothing worse than one or two teams running away with it, i have a feeling this season its going to be close all the way to the end, if Brighton & Hove win on Monday against Palace they will be top.

(Football fans only we know how much some members hate it)

pl.jpg

Brighton won't win at palace - I'll be there, its biggest game of the season for us - A23 derby.

Its looking like Newcastle fans will finally get their wish and see the back of Mike Ashley, Newcastle are my second team as they were my grandads team (he was from the area) and SWMBO is a big fan it'll be nice to see them getting some money to spend after (as one of their fans just said) 14 years of nothing, there will be 52,000 happy fans at their next game Newcastle United vs Tottenham Hotspur on the 17th.

A Saudi Arabian takeover of Newcastle United is close to being agreed.

Approval from the Premier League could possibly come in the next 24 hours after a consortium proved the Saudi state would not have control of the club.
Instead the Public Investment Fund (PIF), which is set to provide 80% of funds for the £300m deal, will be seen as separate to the state and therefore allow the takeover to pass the Premier League owners' and directors' test.

It was believed that a resolution came after Saudi Arabia settled an alleged piracy dispute with Qatar-based broadcaster beIN Sports, which own rights to show Premier League matches in the Middle East.

Newcastle takeover: Saudi Arabian-backed deal is close - BBC Sport

One fan (i think not) rang 5 live saying he doesn't want the takeover because of their serious human rights violations but i have feeling your average Newcastle supporter wont be giving those a thought tonight.

The state has been accused of human rights abuses, which Amnesty International says must be a factor in deciding whether the takeover proceeds.
"Instead of allowing those implicated in serious human rights violations to walk into English football simply because they have deep pockets, we've urged the Premier League to change their owners' and directors' test to address human rights issues," said Sacha Deshmukh, Amnesty International chief executive.
Newcastle takeover: Amnesty International urges Premier League to change owners' and directors' test - BBC Sport

I’m gutted if this goes through. It looked like Sunderland could be the North East’s top dogs again as soon as next season and now the Mags have a shedload of cash to spend!

I’m gutted if this goes through

Its done -

A Saudi Arabian-backed takeover of Newcastle United has been completed.

The Premier League has approved the takeover after receiving "legally binding assurances" that the Saudi state would not control the club.
Instead the Public Investment Fund (PIF), which will provide 80% of funds for the £300m deal, is seen as separate to the state.

The sale went through after the deal passed the Premier League owners' and directors' test.

The takeover brings to an end Mike Ashley's 14-year spell as Newcastle United owner.

A Premier League statement said: "The Premier League, Newcastle United Football Club and St James Holdings Limited have today settled the dispute over the takeover of the club by the consortium of PIF, PCP Capital Partners and RB Sports & Media.

"The legal disputes concerned which entities would own and/or have the ability to control the club following the takeover. All parties have agreed the settlement is necessary to end the long uncertainty for fans over the club's ownership.

"The Premier League has now received legally binding assurances that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia will not control Newcastle United Football Club.

"All parties are pleased to have concluded this process which gives certainty and clarity to Newcastle United Football Club and their fans."

It was believed that a resolution came after Saudi Arabia settled an alleged piracy dispute with Qatar-based broadcaster beIN Sports, which own rights to show Premier League matches in the Middle East.

The Saudi Arabian state has been accused of human rights abuses, but with the majority owner PIF deemed a separate entity, that, and any piracy issues, were no longer an impediment to the takeover, in the Premier League's view.

Football has been burst for years, but this is just about the final nail in the coffin. Money and sporting competition just aren't compatible in my book.

I know what you mean and maybe one day there will be a super league.

You have to admit this is brilliant when you consider what was there before it wouldn't have happened without the oil money.

City’s new youth development and first team training centre – the City Football Academy (CFA) – was today opened by former manager and captain, Tony Book. The unveiling of the 80–acre regenerated brownfield site, adjacent to the Etihad Stadium and part of the wider 200 acres known as the Etihad Campus, was overseen by Chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak and the Right Honourable George Osborne, Chancellor of the Exchequer during his visit to the city.
City Chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak added: “At the outset of his ownership, back in Autumn 2008, His Highness Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan, set out his vision for the future of Manchester City Football Club. He pledged to bring success on the field and to nurture young talent whilst at the same time remaining proudly rooted to the community in which it resided.
The cornerstone of the future, was a vision for youth development and sustainability; a vision to educate talented young footballers on and off the pitch and to do so in a facility supported by the best coaches and coaching programmes.
The vision was underpinned by an unwavering commitment to the regeneration of the local area in both economic and environmental terms. Today marks the end of six years of extensive research, development and construction involving many, many people. It also marks the beginning of a responsibility to deliver against the opportunities that this Academy now creates for us.”

Last edited:
I wonder how long Steve Bruce will last.

His replacement is already being discussed -

ppppp.jpg

They need to get rid of Bruce sharpish - I wouldn't want him spending my money, never mind the potential transfer kitty following the takeover.

Im struggling to think of any ex Man U players who have gone on to be a good Manager. (Although someone is bound to name one Ive overlooked 🙄)

Didn't think Mark Hughes was bad at Stoke and Wales, turd everywhere else though.

He is probably the worst Manager ever, Ex Man U or otherwise. . (I’m a QPR fan). We’ll be counting the cost for what he did to our club for decades. A bit off topic as the thread is called premier league but we might still be in it if it wasn’t for him 😥

Im struggling to think of any ex Man U players who have gone on to be a good Manager. (Although someone is bound to name one Ive overlooked 🙄)
They seem to look decent with the first club they manage and then awful with each subsequent club:
Keane - decent at Sunderland
Robson - decent at Boro

The BBC are not letting this go even though as said in the article -
Amanda Staveley denied the takeover was about sportswashing and told BBC Sport: "Our partner is not the Saudi state, it's PIF. It's taken me four years to get here and I've worked with a great team who I have got to know very closely and I trust in their judgement about what is great for Newcastle."

How will Newcastle manage human rights concerns?

Despite the Premier League's insistence that PIF is separate from the Saudi state, human rights organisations and campaigners still believe the connection is clear.

Amnesty International has urged the Premier League to change its owners' and directors' test "to address human rights issues".

Its UK chief executive Sacha Deshmukh said: "Ever since this deal was first talked about, we said it represented a clear attempt by the Saudi authorities to sportswash their appalling human rights record with the glamour of top-flight football.

"Saudi ownership of St James' Park was always as much about image management for Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and his government as it was about football."

Other campaigners have told the BBC that the issue will not go away, even though the takeover is complete.

Lina al-Hathloul, whose sister Loujain was held in prison for protesting about women's right to drive, says protests could occur at St James' Park, which would "embarrass" Saudi Arabia.

She also highlights how Bin Salman is the head of PIF and is still the same person he was in 2018 "when he ordered the murder of [journalist] Jamal Khashoggi". Western intelligence agencies believe he ordered Khashoggi's murder - an allegation the Crown Prince denies.

Tomlinson says: "Clubs are bought and sold at the highest level by billionaires and sovereign states, and we have not had a say in that. But as a supporters' organisation, we will always support inclusion and be against discrimination and abuse of human rights.

"We will use our influence to effect change where we can."

Managing the public relations of a Saudi Arabian-backed takeover will be a key item in the consortium's in-tray, and will likely continue long after the deal is completed.

But the country has already shown its capacity to handle those issues when hosting fights for British heavyweight Anthony Joshua, the Spanish Super Cup and a Formula 1 grand prix, which is set to take place for the first time in December.

Staveley denied the takeover was about sportswashing and told BBC Sport: "Our partner is not the Saudi state, it's PIF. It's taken me four years to get here and I've worked with a great team who I have got to know very closely and I trust in their judgement about what is great for Newcastle."

He is probably the worst Manager ever, Ex Man U or otherwise. . (I’m a QPR fan). We’ll be counting the cost for what he did to our club for decades. A bit off topic as the thread is called premier league but we might still be in it if it wasn’t for him 😥

Was he pre or post Hollowords?

Argyle fan here.

Latest posts

Back