Premium kit recommendation

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

TastyMcbrewski

Reaction score
Morning all

My wife has asked me what I want for my birthday and thought it would be a good excuse to try one of the premium beer kits. £30?

So, with seemingly lots out there does anyone have any suggestions?

I would be looking for a hoppy pale ale/American IPA beer.

To give a steer, I have just done a Wilko feeling hoppy to 20 ltrs with beer enhancer and extra cascade and mosaic. Seems okay, not sure I am convinced on the mosaic.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

TastyMcbrewski

Reaction score
I should have added I have done the Young's IPA which I know is very popular on here. I found it extremely bitter verging on unenjoyable (although this was one of my earlier attempts and completely conceivable my technique had holes on it) so probably not looking to do this again just yet

Pavros

Landlord.
Reaction score
I think that any of the Youngs American range, Festival Razorback, Festival Golden Stag or Bulldog 4 Fingered Jack fit the bill of hoppy IPAs/pale ales. Look on websites because some will tell you which hops are included and you can select the one that appeals most.

terrym

Reaction score
Folk on here seem to like the Mangrove Jack kits. There are two types the traditional and the craft range which both require 'sugar' top ups . Craft range comes with more LME, hops and costs more so just about qualifies to be a premium kit.
Also there are kit review sections here plus random other reviews for you to search
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/beer-kit-reviews-a-z-part-1-2.77650/
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/beer-kit-review-a-z-broken-links-please-read-post-number-3.61597/

Dave 666

Regular.
Reaction score
For me, anything that requires NO additional ingredients or is already a 3kg kit could be classed as "premium" . But never had a bad beerworks kit & done a few over the last 18 months.

TastyMcbrewski

Reaction score
Many thanks for the suggestions all, some good pointers for me to get researching into. Mangrove jacks and festival were two I had in mind so good to see them mentioned but I'll have a look at some of the others suggested as well. Appreciatedathumb..

labrewski

Regular.
Reaction score
Hopptimus prime was a beautiful pint or mangrove jacks are always a solid kit

the_quick

Regular.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mangrove Kits are really good, to make it better use with 1.2KG of Mangrove Jack Liquid Malt Extract (LME)

labrewski

Regular.
Reaction score
Just dont follow instructions and primary for 3 weeks if u go with mj I found any mj kit I've got took 3 weeks to finish up

GhostShip

Reaction score
If you want a premium kit and you like hoppy IPA styles, then I'd look no further than Youngs American IPA (AIPA). I've done it twice and my third brew is currently in the FV. It's outstanding - just follow the instructions (no need to add anything) but leave it in the FV for 2/3 weeks. It makes a beautiful pint.

The Beerworks range is also very good. I've done their President's Sierra Amaerican Pale Ale and it's not far off being as good as the AIPA.

Pavros

Landlord.
Reaction score
Someone above mentioned Hoptimus Prime which reminds me that I have done the HBC Bruphoria Dead Phony IPA kit twice and it is excellent.

ClownPrince

Reaction score
Highly recommend the Mangrove Jacks Grapefruit IPA kit.

Graz

Landlord.
Reaction score
I should have added I have done the Young's IPA which I know is very popular on here. I found it extremely bitter verging on unenjoyable (although this was one of my earlier attempts and completely conceivable my technique had holes on it) so probably not looking to do this again just yet
Assuming you mean the American IPA then yeah it is pretty bitter / dry, personally I quite like that but it's probably not to everyone's taste. Try the Pale Ale (APA) instead, bit less hoppy and bitter but still a really nice pint.

Dave 666

Regular.
Reaction score
If you want a premium kit and you like hoppy IPA styles, then I'd look no further than Youngs American IPA (AIPA). I've done it twice and my third brew is currently in the FV. It's outstanding - just follow the instructions (no need to add anything) but leave it in the FV for 2/3 weeks. It makes a beautiful pint.

The Beerworks range is also very good. I've done their President's Sierra Amaerican Pale Ale and it's not far off being as good as the AIPA.
Funny enough, the Beerworks Presidents Sierra American Pale Ale is the kit I got for Xmas and 1 of the 2 kits (yes 2 kits in a single brew day) I'm doing tomorrow along with a BOY pale ale. The Beerworks kit will be going into the second corny keg once fermented and I can't wait to try that one as Citra based which I bloody love.

TastyMcbrewski

Reaction score
If you want a premium kit, Get 'Er Brewed are standout for me, their Experimental range is fantastic. But some (definitely not all) of the Beerworks Craft Beer Series is also pretty good.
Fantastic shout - not seen a NEIPA before. Again thanks all for the suggestions, I've narrowed it down to GEB NEIPA and beerworks sierra IPA for the wife to decide - can't lose!

labrewski

Regular.
Reaction score
Mmm I done the neipa very nice very drinkable after only 7 days bottle condition I always try one to see how its going

GhostShip

Reaction score
Great thread this. I've now discovered a couple of other kits that I'd like to try - particularly the Bruphoria Dead Phony IPA.