Pressure Barrel Carbonation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Task.

Reaction score
He everyone
Yes first question so I will begin lol

I have a Pressure Barrel and wanting to put in some Carbonation Drops in but on your experience how many drops do I put in to be adequate to do the job for a larger

thanks in advance 🙂

Don't waste your money. Just add sugar...
Depends on how fizzy you want it as to how much sugar you add.

Don't waste your money. Just add sugar...
Depends on how fizzy you want it as to how much sugar you add.
Thanks for the info...
So how much would you say for a decent fizz then?

You should NOT put more than about 90g table sugar into a PB. There are only designed for a relatively low pressure unlike bottles. And in any case if you put in more sugar you will initially be dispensing mostly foam. And if you keep increasing the amount of sugar you increasingly pressure stress the PB. And sooner or later, assuming it works, the rubber band relief arrangement should vent any excess CO2 so its pointless adding excess sugar
PBs are fine for low carb beers like ales, but not high carb beers like lagers.
And if its a first time out for your PB you need to check it to try to ensure its leaktight (which it may not be even though its new)
More on that here
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/guide-to-a-standard-home-brew-pressure-barrel.67042/

You should NOT put more than about 90g table sugar into a PB. There are only designed for a relatively low pressure unlike bottles. And in any case if you put in more sugar you will initially be dispensing mostly foam. And if you keep increasing the amount of sugar you increasingly pressure stress the PB. And sooner or later, assuming it works, the rubber band relief arrangement should vent any excess CO2 so its pointless adding excess sugar
PBs are fine for low carb beers like ales, but not high carb beers like lagers.
And if its a first time out for your PB you need to check it to try to ensure its leaktight (which it may not be even though its new)
More on that here
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/guide-to-a-standard-home-brew-pressure-barrel.67042/
Thanks I will have a go in the morning
Thanks for your time 😉😉

Latest posts

Back