Pressure barrel CO2 usage

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffers brewery

Complicated Brewer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Out of interest I’d be interested to know for those PB users who use the small 8 gram capsules, how many capsules you use for each 5 gallon brew, not including those days you’re chasing a leak :laugh8:

I've had varying success) results. If you are leak free I found cold temperature can also drop pressure where you need to add more. I've used as little as three and 5+.

Isn't gas bulb usage a function of
- whether you initially primed with sugar or force carbonate with bulbs
- beer temperature (beer at 2*C can hold nearly twice as much CO2 as beer at 20*C)
- how much beer is in the PB
- how much carbonation you like in your beer
- how quickly you draw off your beer (a big session may mean the dissolved CO2 cannot come out of solution quick enough to re-establish the equilibrium si you would use a bulb to top up)
That's a lot of variables, and there might be more.
In other words one person might only need one perhaps two bulbs , someone else five plus.
And in the heady days when I had functioning PBs all I did was prime with sugar. In the winter I could more or less get down to the bottom of the PB before it ran out of puff, but in the summer I would most probably have to reprime, the difference being beer temperature and ability to hold CO2.

Isn't gas bulb usage a function of
- whether you initially primed with sugar or force carbonate with bulbs
- beer temperature (beer at 2*C can hold nearly twice as much CO2 as beer at 20*C)
- how much beer is in the PB
- how much carbonation you like in your beer
- how quickly you draw off your beer (a big session may mean the dissolved CO2 cannot come out of solution quick enough to re-establish the equilibrium si you would use a bulb to top up)
That's a lot of variables, and there might be more.
In other words one person might only need one perhaps two bulbs , someone else five plus.
And in the heady days when I had functioning PBs all I did was prime with sugar. In the winter I could more or less get down to the bottom of the PB before it ran out of puff, but in the summer I would most probably have to reprime, the difference being beer temperature and ability to hold CO2.
Thanks for that @terrym . I guess I put you down as a “none” :laugh8:

Latest posts

Back