pressure barrel/keg needed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lupinehorror

Landlord.
Reaction score
not going through a body breaking bottling session again so looking to stick the currently fermenting brew into a pressure barrel/keg.
i'f like to spend £50 or less if possible. this one from wilko has been mentioned a couple if times. if that's a good buy then what CO2 setup would i require? are there any better combinations out there for the money?
thanks wise folk.

Read these
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/...ls-or-bottles-for-your-home-brewed-beer.88284https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/whats-your-view-on-plastic-pressure-barrels-pbs.88283
In short some like PBs, others don't, and of those interested in 'em, it's about a 50/50 split. They are indeed a convenient way of storing your beer. But they leak pressure from any number of places so can become troublesome and frustrating in service, unless you try to sort out the problems which is what some on here are willing to do, especially if you have a workshop. And even new ones of all sorts leak without first needing attention. So my advice is to avoid, especially at the cheap end of whats available. If you want 'bulk storage' for your beer look at a Corny system, which will cost more, but should prove more reliable. Finally be aware that PBs are only suitable for storing low carb beers like ales and stouts not fizzy like lagers due to their pressure limitations.

You are looking at a bit of an outlay to go the Keg route - but IMHO it's well worth it. Top end (and I'd fully recommend getting decent kit) you are looking at £80 - £90 for an AEB 19 litre keg, £50 for a decent CO2 regulator (ODL make), around £20 for CO2 gas (plus possibly approx £30 deposit for the cylinder) and then around £10 - £20 for pipes and fittings inc a party tap (which is fine to start with.) You could bring the budget down a bit, but I've never looked back on the day I switched from bottles to kegs. Good beer on tap from a safe reliable system that lasts........ and no more bottle washing.

Last edited:
As a pressure barrel user (King Keg) I’d recommend a corny keg system if you are starting from scratch in bulk storage of your brews.

Regarding PBs, I’d recommend the King Keg as it has a robust shell moulding and will probably give long service if not abused. The weakness (IMO) of all PBs is the pressure relief/non-return valve arrangement and is notorious for causing leaks and pressure loss. Regular routine maintenance reduces the risk. I use my own design of top that has corny posts and a “proper” pressure relief valve to avoid these problems. The additional cost of doing this however means my KKs have cost me about the same as a corny keg. So if I was starting over again, knowing what I know now I’d go down the corny route. I think the reason I went down the PB route originally was the cost of the corny system compared to PBs and as a beginner, I didn’t want to spend a lot on a hobby if it wasn’t going to last. That being said, I have 3 King Kegs and they all work well for me. I’m not a lager brewer/drinker so don’t need a corny keg.

Last edited:
I did use them years ago and will admit that when you get them set up just right they can be excellent for low carb English beers (I.e, Bitter, Mild etc.), and for this style I think I actually preferred the beer to what I get out of a corny, but they are also a bit of a pain I know some people swear by them, but I find them more trouble than they where worth.

thank you one and all. much to explore. i've worked up quite a thirst spending hours in a hospital so i'll take care of that then have a proper gander.
Take care mate.
Hope the hospital wasn't to traumatic.
I tend to use PBs got 4 on the go, but as said leaking gas is a bugger.
I recently bought a Corney keg set up from Brewkegtap 145.00 all in all was needed was a sodastream gas and some beer

not going through a body breaking bottling session again so looking to stick the currently fermenting brew into a pressure barrel/keg.
i'f like to spend £50 or less if possible. this one from wilko has been mentioned a couple if times. if that's a good buy then what CO2 setup would i require? are there any better combinations out there for the money?
thanks wise folk.
I was in a similar position in that I hated bottling day so much. I bought a new PB and tested it as per the guide linked by Terry. It had a leak in the shell. Refund in hand, I went the corny route instead and it's working well for me right now.
Pros:
  • Robust/will last
  • Shiny
  • Can take pressure high enough for any style
  • The fittings are very standard, so expansion/additional equipment (mini kegs, pressure fermenters etc) can be added to the setup with ease.

Cons:
  • It is expensive
  • It's addictive
  • Of course, you'll have to build a keezer/kegerator (ok, you won't have to, but you'll want to)

can't stretch to a corny and related gubbins i don't think.
thinking a king keg may be the best bang for buck. would need a CO2 bulb holder? (and bulbs obviously).
thanks for all your input.
not up to throwing all my weight behind research at the moment.

can't stretch to a corny and related gubbins i don't think.
thinking a king keg may be the best bang for buck. would need a CO2 bulb holder? (and bulbs obviously).
thanks for all your input.
not up to throwing all my weight behind research at the moment.
If you do go down the PB route you need to look through these to get the best out of it, especially checking over from new so you have done your best to ensure its leaktight when you first put beer in it.
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/guide-to-a-standard-home-brew-pressure-barrel.67042/https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/pressure-barrels-more-than-you-wanted-to-know.89344/I used to operate my PBs without CO2 by just using priming sugar, but most PB users use CO2 addition of some sort. So if you want CO2 injection you will need to buy the gubbins to go with it, and a cap that has the right sort of injection valve to go with it.

If you do go down the PB route you need to look through these to get the best out of it, especially checking over from new so you have done your best to ensure its leaktight when you first put beer in it.
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/guide-to-a-standard-home-brew-pressure-barrel.67042/https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/pressure-barrels-more-than-you-wanted-to-know.89344/I used to operate my PBs without CO2 by just using priming sugar, but most PB users use CO2 addition of some sort. So if you want CO2 injection you will need to buy the gubbins to go with it, and a cap that has the right sort of injection valve to go with it.
i will wade through them. cheers.

If you’re going down the King Keg route I’d recommend S30 cylinders rather than CO2 bulbs. I’d also recommend fitting a pressure gauge of some type, either a dial or Schrader valve with a digital pressure gauge. It will give you more control over how much gas you inject.

Corny kegs really aren't that expensive. You can get a reconditioned Grade A for £57 delivered. The disconnects I got were £1.60 each. 6.35kg gas bottle cost me £18.99. Couple of john guest fittings and a party tap, call it £90 - but after that you're just including the cost of a keg each time.

Plastic pressure barrels - if you manage to get one of the better ones that left the factory not already on fire then it's how many brews until it ruins a batch of beer? Two, three?

You need to use sugar to prime it which costs you extra conditioning time and wastes beer. Of course you get the bonus of those lovely vitamin fortified final pints that you'd better drink on a Friday or Saturday because your guts certainly won't handle a commute, oh no no no. Or you could just consider it a sacrifice to the demon that comes free inside every pressure barrel.

Those little sparklet bulbs to top up that - let's face it : flaccid beer - £4.50 for 80g of gas. Let's see, how much would that work out to for the same I get in my £18.99 cylinder... oh £357.19.

And those replacement rubbers for the s30, a mere snip at £4.95 a set. Hope they're not a horror to put on. Certainly haven't stabbed myself or everyone else in the vicinity with screwdrivers trying to get them on and off. No sir-eeee! How much for a set of corny replacements? Oh £1.60 - or 3 sets delivered for £5.99. I haven't managed to stab anyone with the little spanner used to take off the posts yet. I've tried, mind.

And. Someone comes round your house and you say "Do you want to try some of my beer?" (Don't say homebrew, not yet). You lead them into the place wherever it is your wife lets you keep your barrel and they go "Oh, my dad had one of them. He still wakes up screaming sometimes." You open up that white plastic tap and out comes that lovely, lovely gushing frothing sputtering seething pint of foam. Keep smiling, bit of eye contact to assure them it's ok. "It'll settle in a minute..." Yay! Fifteen minutes later they've got a whole 8mm of beer.

Somebody comes round and you show them a corny keg and they think you're selling secrets to the Russians and wonder what lever in the room opens a secret panel or starts the elevator to your underground bunker.

It's your choice, of course. I wouldn't want to influence you.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back