Pressure barrel tap suggestion

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronnie23

Reaction score
Hi all

What kind of tap would you recommend for an old style Wilko pb? I'm using it for pressure fermentation so want it to handle 15 psi or so.

From what I've read, it seems that people put up with leaks on these things - is it reasonable to expect no leakage?

Also, what psi do you guys normally run these things at when used for dispensing?

Cheers

Ron

I use the old style wilko PB's and never had an issue with leaks. They're rated at 15psi, Wilko also sell replacement taps, I'm sure there are better ones out there but never had the need to replace.

Wilko replacement tap

Hi all

What kind of tap would you recommend for an old style Wilko pb? I'm using it for pressure fermentation so want it to handle 15 psi or so.

From what I've read, it seems that people put up with leaks on these things - is it reasonable to expect no leakage?

Also, what psi do you guys normally run these things at when used for dispensing?

Cheers

Ron
It is reasonable to expect a PB not to leak. However that expectation doesn't necessarily match reality. If you haven't done so already I suggest you run a full pressure test on your PB, but ensure the RV works, better replace it then test.
And in my view cycling the PB up to it's max WP will only shorten the PB life. They are, by definition, only made of plastic, and flex considerably as they get up to pressure and on the way back down, and that tends to find the weaknesses.
And before I gave up on them I used to prime my PBs with no more than about 95g sugar which was more than enough to dispense beer in a reasonable time. Any more and it would have been foam. But I'm sure I was well within the 15psig max WP.

Thank you both for your replies. I've tested it at 15 psi with a pump and only the tap leaks.

I'll buy a new tap - for sure the one I've got has a failed o ring - and crack on.

Cheers

Back