Pressure barrel.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevebea

Reaction score
Hi.
Completley new to this but noticed a couple of pointers upon racking my red ipa to a pressure barrel.
I've read much advice about vaseline on the tap and cap threads and washers.
What i have found is lubricating the threads is pointless as they are so course and ill fitting that a seal is impossible.
What i have found is lubricating the rubber washers on both sides allows the washer to simply compress and form a perfect seal without snagging and distorting
It may also be the sample of bad cat red ipa making me talk knackers.
Hope this helps.
Steve.

Nope, you are not talking knackers - what you say is almost spot-on.
Lubricating a thread on a gas seal could only have one benefit: making the seal easier to tighten up. No gas seal relies upon the thread. Most depend upon a gasket (or O ring, much the same). But these should not require lubricating, either.

Use a bit of 120 - 240 sandpaper wrapped around a wood block to get a flat smooth finish to the top opening of the barrel. It takes off any rough edges and gives you a chance to get a good seal.

@stevebea
I agree that it pointless lubing the threads on the cap, but a thin smear of vaseline on the gasket is necessary, since it's the gasket that provides the pressure seal not the thread. Provided the top opening on the PB has a flat surface and no burrs etc, you can normally get the cap gasket to seal properly. But don't overtighten the cap. Screw the cap to where it just 'bites' then one quarter turn. Any more and there is a chance the gasket will distort and not give a seal. And it is also useful as well to check that the other gaskets are lubed and seat properly before you use the PB.
More here
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/guide-to-a-standard-home-brew-pressure-barrel.67042/
and
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/...urers-imperfections-on-a-king-keg-neck.64853/

Use a bit of 120 - 240 sandpaper wrapped around a wood block to get a flat smooth finish to the top opening of the barrel. It takes off any rough edges and gives you a chance to get a good seal.
Thats a very good idea.
I'll do that next time round.
Cheers.

I never remember to apply vaseline to any threads but never really had a problem.

Latest posts

Back