Pressure fermentation, dry hopping, oxidisation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elliott 22

Regular.
Reaction score
So I just cold crashed my beer after fermentation had finished in my keg king chubby, I then let the pressure out via prv dumped my pellet hops in then purged with co2.

my question is have I just oxidised my beer?
I normally use a fermzilla and purge the yeast collection vessel with the hops in and then open butterfly valve.

it looks slightly darker now after a few hours
Must of had the lid off for 30secs then purged a good few times 🤦‍♂️

So I just cold crashed my beer after fermentation had finished in my keg king chubby, I then let the pressure out via prv dumped my pellet hops in then purged with co2.

I normally use a fermzilla and purge the yeast collection vessel with the hops in and then open butterfly valve.

You'll be just fine. It'll look darker because of the hops breaking up in solution.

I think you are one of the brewers who are suffering from the latest paranoia created by some brewers who are from the anal brigade ( the latest thing you must do or you will open Pandora's box).
You will be fine as when you lift the lid it will generally have a blanket of CO2 over the beer and as long as you are not exposing the beer for too long and splashing things around it will be ok as it has been for years of brewing and still will be.
The only time you need to be more rigorous is in NEIPA's and very heavily dry hopped beers. I have dry hopped for years with over 100g's and never had a oxidised beer athumb..

That's how you should do it, AFAIK - textbook homebrew PFV dry hop.

I think you are one of the brewers who are suffering from the latest paranoia created by some brewers who are from the anal brigade ( the latest thing you must do or you will open Pandora's box).
You will be fine as when you lift the lid it will generally have a blanket of CO2 over the beer and as long as you are not exposing the beer for too long and splashing things around it will be ok as it has been for years of brewing and still will be.
The only time you need to be more rigorous is in NEIPA's and very heavily dry hopped beers. I have dry hopped for years with over 100g's and never had a oxidised beer athumb..
Thanks @the baron 👍

This - my only 2 oxidised batches have been through my own stupidity that I could pinpoint rather than “I took the lid off to dry hop”

As I was going up the stair I saw a man who wasn't there, he wasn't there again today, I wish that man would go away.
This is what I always think of when I see folk worrying about something which may never happen, and more than likely won't.

Back