Pressure fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Roberts

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi I've been reading abotu pressure fermentation and just wanted to run this by the group to make sure I have soem sort of understanding.

In theory I could brew a lager, ferment under pressure at 18°c then keg and lager it in my fridge for 4-6 weeks before serving?

Realise that is a simplifieid process but you get the general idea.

I've been pressure fermenting lager for the last 3-4 brews. Effectively it allows you to brew at a higher temperature using lager yeast without the off flavours being generated. You can use less yeast due to the higher temperature, and fermentation finished much quicker (my latest batch finished in 4 days). The beer is also naturally carbonated which is a bonus.

I still cold crash to 0-1C for 3 days and gelatine fine the lager. Before close transferring to corny kegs. Then store these for a few weeks to 'lager'. The lager tastes fine from day one, but it does improve over time. In my experience there has been no need to lager for months, but that of course depends on your recipe and OG.

Latest posts

Back