Pressure Fermenters - How do you dry hop?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graz

Landlord.
Reaction score
Potentially stupid question but here goes, I don't currently own a pressure thingy...

I usually dry hop my brews when fermentation is all but over, normally lob the hops in, leave 2-3 days, cold crash 1-2 days, keg. Now with a pressure fermenter at the point when I would do this I'm assuming that if I've done everything right the fermenter would be sitting around 10 psi and giving initial carbonation to my beer. If I vent it, take the lid off and chuck the hops in then the pressure has gone and likely won't really build up again as active fermentation is over. I could now obviously hook it up to my CO2 bottle to carry on carbonating but no idea if that's what everybody does. Also isn't the point of adding the hops to the flat but fermented beer is that the aroma doesn't get driven off by the CO2, does the pressure in the headspace alleviate this?

Having written off the idea of these fermenters when they first came out due to cost and it wouldn't fit in my brew fridge I see there are now several variants that don't have the collection bottle, are stubby so likely would fit in my fridge and are cheaper. I quite like the idea of being able to transfer into a Corny under pressure and not faffing around with siphons.

I either use a hop tea, which you can inject into the fv (Fermzilla in my case) via one of these (there are cheaper sources available):
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kegland-...4cf9bc11593500a46e71|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2334524or I put the hops in a mesh bag with a magnet in it, and suspend them at the top of the fv with another magnet on the outside until the dry hopping day when you just drop them into the brew. Works ok if you're fermenting under pressure with little or no krausen, but with high krausen the bag can get mucky.

Latest posts

Back