Pressure fermenting and closed transfer. Some questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewnaldo

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hello there,

I have on its way to me a Fermenter King G3, which opens up the world of pressure fermenting and closed transfers, so I have figured out (all by myself) that in order to pressure ferment I shall have to add a spunding valve to my kit. I think I am correct in saying that's all I need to ferment under pressure.

After that though, what do I need to go directly to keg? I assume 2 ball lock fittings with barbs to fit a hose between the two? Is nylon tubing up to the job or do I need pressure rated hoses with screw/push fittings? ?

How do I relieve the filling pressure in the keg? Spunding valve moved over to the keg during the operation, or just vent off manually to keep it lower than the FV pressure?

How well does bottling carbed beer from the FV work in anyones experience and would it be a blichmann type counter pressure deely I would need?

In terms of CO2 flushing a keg, do folks just pressure it up and vent off a couple of times using their normal regulator?

Lot of questions I know but hopefully the thread can become a useful source for folk like me making the move....

I use this method, works very well.Some times i give the beer pick up line in the fermenter a blast of co2 incase any dry hops get pulled up the line.

I assume 2 ball lock fittings with barbs to fit a hose between the two?
Yup

Is nylon tubing up to the job or do I need pressure rated hoses with screw/push fittings?
I use a "racking" thing. Two disconnects to suit your posts either end of a silicone tubing with appropriate JG fittings cable tied to ensure no movement. Handles pressure OK. Not so good above 30odd.

How do I relieve the filling pressure in the keg?
Wang the spunding valve on the keg setting pressure lower than the fermenter. Just be aware that it'll cover the valve with beer if you don't get to it before it shoots out the end.

How well does bottling carbed beer from the FV work in anyones experience and would it be a blichmann type counter pressure deely I would need?
I made a move to carbonation caps, using this racking setup and now use PET bottles screwtop. Means next to no o2 in packaging from keg or fermenter.

In terms of CO2 flushing a keg, do folks just pressure it up and vent off a couple of times using their normal regulator?
Personally keep all kegs filled with starsan. When I need one I push all the starsan out with co2 and then transfer beer to it.

Latest posts

Back