Pressure fermenting guides?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all
I have an all rounder on the way, and researching fermenting under pressure. Are there any good online guides for what, when and how much with respect to pressure itself, temperature and beer types? I'm also 90% into a fridge build and now have colling and heating control sorted - so will have close control of temp too. CO2 and all the fittings are on the way. So I'm sorted for kit now, just need to learn how to use it!

This is the original guide, written by a qualified brewer, since she wrote it, it has been taken well out of context. Seems folk make their own rules up as they go along, don't go looking for guidance from any renown home brewing scribes, there aren't any. Apart from those who have a vested monetary interest.
Been there and done it, I have my own conclusions about which method makes the best beer. Good luck.
http://www.terifahrendorf.com/Closed-Pressurized-Fermenatation.pdf

Hi all
I have an all rounder on the way, and researching fermenting under pressure. Are there any good online guides for what, when and how much with respect to pressure itself, temperature and beer types? I'm also 90% into a fridge build and now have colling and heating control sorted - so will have close control of temp too. CO2 and all the fittings are on the way. So I'm sorted for kit now, just need to learn how to use it!

So my view is, don't brew under pressure unless you are in a rush to make beer. If you are in a rush, then fair enough play around. Otherwise don't ferment under pressure, just use the yeast at its suggested temperature range and make great beer.

Use the pressure vessel to cap the beer at the end of fermentation to carbonate using the fermentation rather than force carbonate. If you can then transfer to keg oxygen free then fantastic.

Why do you want to ferment under pressure?

Pressure brewing seems to me to being forced on homebrewers as Foxy says there are monetary reasons for this. I am not saying it has not got its place but it is being used more than it should be to promote sales IMO. I have always said that a lot of new ideas are coming into brewing and taking it to the next level for manufacturers and suppliers who yes they have a vested interest in making money which also develops the hobby too but not everything is meant to be pushed as hard as this is at the moment.
You probably know my opinion which is used in the right place yes but it does not replace the standard brewing method
Edit just to add a large majority of the videos you will have seen re pressure fermenting are by people who have been given/presented with free units to evaluate - make your own mind up on whether you are getting a totally honest evaluation as some of them want the next piece of kit for free next time - Now there's cynical for you!!!

Last edited:
Back