Pressure slowly creeps up, faulty regulator?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simon12

THBF Sponsor
THBF Sponsor
Reaction score
I am using a kegerator to dispense commercial kegs, its worked fine for ages until now. About lockdown time the CO2 ran out a few weeks ago I cleaned the lines changed the kegs and connected a new CO2 cylinder, the cylinder had a tap I could barely turn and I could only get it slightly open (the high pressure would only go up slowly if I pull the pressure release) and the low pressure side the pressure would slowly creep up, ie if I set it to 10psi it would seem to stay at that but half an hour later it would be at 20. I first put this down to CO2 leaving the beer in the kegs but the next day it was at 80psi. So I got the CO2 cylinder changed for another one but the pressure still keeps creeping up. So question is, is there a fix or explanation or just a faulty regulator that needs replacing?

Its a pretty standard regulator from HBC but branded keg kingdom and has worked fine for years.

Cheers

Sounds like a dodgy regulator to me. My regulator is similar, I find it very difficult to set as the pressure creeps up very slowly over a few hours. I could play about by setting to a pressure, waiting to see what it stops at, adjust again, wait, adjust.... but instead I ended up getting secondary regulators for each keg and just leave the primary at about 20-30psi

With the regulator outlet disconnected give it a few blasts. There may be some dirt or metal preventing the valve from closing tight. Then check that no gas is coming out when pressure is set to zero.

If that doesn't work give the regulator a tap with a heavy spanner.

Shot in the dark as I'm no expert, could it be something to do with the nylon washer between the tank and the reg? seeing as this is the only thing that has been disturbed really.

Latest posts

Back