Prices about to go up substantially

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobukbrewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
A contact at a local brewery has told me that PM and hop prices are about to go up 30-40% still good value though....

Only a matter of time given the price hikes in Ireland on beer some cheap supermarket beer has literally been doubled

Prices have already went up. Grain has went up alot. I kg of crisp Munich malt last year was 1.04 a kg with geterbrewed now it's 1.54

Yeah, looking at MO yesterday, about £27, today it's gone up to £35-ish.

Last edited:
It costs the same to transport 500g of bargain basement rice, as it does fancy pants rice.

Silly example, say it costs 50p to get 500g of rice to market. Global fuel / transport costs mean this increases to £1

£1 a bag rice goes up to £1.50 (50%)
£100 a bag designer rice goes up to £100.50 (0.5%)

This isn't some kind of evil capitalist plot to grind the workers into the dust, its maths.

Notwithstanding that its the poor who are at the brunt of any price increases whatsoever (they are), you cannot infer that the 'system' is designed to attack the poor and favour the rich from the examples she gives (which she does).

A76B3994-3131-438E-A22A-CDC46376C429.jpeg

I've just renewed our car insurance and my breakdown cover...between us the policies came DOWN £105...it was cheaper than last year on the quote but I always phone and be cheeky.

The main issue with the cost of malt and hops will be the fertiliser prices have gone from about £300 a tonne to over £700 a tonne due to the gas price rise. Also with one of the plants in the uk shut down at the moment the demand had already outstripped the supply.

I see that the price of Wilko's Velvet Stout on their website has just gone up to £15, which is quite a hike.

I stopped by my friendly local brewery this afternoon and collected a bag of Crisp's Best Ale and a tray of beers.

The woman there said they'd had a price increase, I said yes, I'd heard, not surprised. She said, it's another three quid a bag. Went up from £19 something to £22 something. Still very reasonable, though.

Last edited:
Back