Priming and teaspoons

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bugger the spoons....
i always ask on here how many grams ...
to batch prim what ever brew im doing ...
then get out my Digital Scales ...
and away i go ...
simples...

regards mick....

calumscott said:
Well, ignore the "1/2 teaspoon" to start with and concentrate on the rest, they are as close I as can be arsed getting to absolute measures, they are defined and repeatable and the numbers stack up nicely.

Then think about the "1/2 teaspoon" in isolation - it's wholly subjective. My view of what half a teaspoon looks like will no doubt be different from yours or anyone elses. I just thought it would be fun to see where it came in the table.

I understand that. My point was that your best guess to a half tsp was the same as a full tsp using, I presume, the same spoon. It just didn't make any sense unless you heaped a half tsp, which would also make no sense for the bounds of this test. Any logic would assume that your best guess of 1/2 tsp would be close to 1/2 the value of your leveled tsp... if using the same teaspoon of course.

Not to worry, I'll have a go at it myself and see what spoon is closest to my measuring spoons.

ScottM said:
calumscott said:
Well, ignore the "1/2 teaspoon" to start with and concentrate on the rest, they are as close I as can be arsed getting to absolute measures, they are defined and repeatable and the numbers stack up nicely.

Then think about the "1/2 teaspoon" in isolation - it's wholly subjective. My view of what half a teaspoon looks like will no doubt be different from yours or anyone elses. I just thought it would be fun to see where it came in the table.

I understand that. My point was that your best guess to a half tsp was the same as a full tsp using, I presume, the same spoon. It just didn't make any sense unless you heaped a half tsp, which would also make no sense for the bounds of this test. Any logic would assume that your best guess of 1/2 tsp would be close to 1/2 the value of your leveled tsp... if using the same teaspoon of course.

Not to worry, I'll have a go at it myself and see what spoon is closest to my measuring spoons.

I think Mick got it right...

mick may said:
bugger the spoons
:lol:

I think I've come to the conclusion that when priming bottles, a heaped teaspoon (be it a Yorkshire one or not) is pretty bang on in my book.

Batch priming in my keg, i do by weight. ( I like to split my brews between bottles and keg)

I guess in reality you could batch prime in the FV before you bottle, but for reasons that escape me, I haven't done that yet :tongue:

Maffa said:
I guess in reality you could batch prime in the FV before you bottle, but for reasons that escape me, I haven't done that yet :tongue:

Probably because stirring would drag up all the yeast and waste that you've tried so hard to leave in the bottom of the FV :D

ScottM said:
Probably because stirring would drag up all the yeast and waste that you've tried so hard to leave in the bottom of the FV :D

I knew there was a sane reason behind it, thank gawd for the subconscious :clap:

Maffa said:
I think I've come to the conclusion that when priming bottles, a heaped teaspoon (be it a Yorkshire one or not) is pretty bang on in my book.

Batch priming in my keg, i do by weight. ( I like to split my brews between bottles and keg)

i boil a half pint of water disolve the sugar in that ...
then put it in my clean/ sanitised fv....
and syphon my brew into there ....
also giving it a gentle stir before i bottle from that one ...
at least you no its got the same amount of sugar in every bottle...
no mater how big or small it is....

and that way theres yeast/sediment ...
in the bottom to worry about...

regards mick... :hat: .

graysalchemy said:
Yes but if you transfere into a clean Fv or 'bottling bucket' you won't. :grin: :grin:

must admit thats my way of doing and so far ...... no probs :thumb:

I can't/don't dispute what you say. We are trying to offer support and to de-mistify for folk who are new to the Home Brewing activity, the difference between the density of one commodity against another at the level we are working at are of little - if no importance - we are talking about minute amounts at the 1/4 spoonful level, these are useful guides to work with. Few scales work to that accuracy (unless you have bought a new one recently).

That was the purpose of my post.

Most brewing - as it was in the beginning is about what works for you, that's how brewing evolved surely, there was no internet - everybody tried, again probably based on a story they had heard in a local Inn or from their dad brother uncle, aunty etc..., a new innovation on what they had been doing for many years,

The joy of this activity for me is - if it feels right to you - go for it! Try it - if it doesn't work then you can ask questions based on your individual findings, that creates a good conversation - these are the questions I find most intriguing on the forum,

I don't mean to offend or p***ed anybody off but brewing is not a science its a craft - admittedly its being more and more backed up by science!! but at our home brewing level it should be considered more as a craft than a science so I apologize to those among us whom I have offended.

Good luck with your endeavors and have fun with anything you do/try - if you feel it has failed - don't throw it away - keep it and try it - who knows in a year or two it might be absolutely fantastic, you'll be glad you did then!

LeithR said:
That was the purpose of my post.

Most brewing - as it was in the beginning is about what works for you, that's how brewing evolved surely, there was no internet - everybody tried, again probably based on a story they had heard in a local Inn or from their dad brother uncle, aunty etc..., a new innovation on what they had been doing for many years,

The joy of this activity for me is - if it feels right to you - go for it! Try it - if it doesn't work then you can ask questions based on your individual findings, that creates a good conversation - these are the questions I find most intriguing on the forum,

I don't mean to offend or p***ed anybody off but brewing is not a science its a craft - admittedly its being more and more backed up by science!! but at our home brewing level it should be considered more as a craft than a science so I apologize to those among us whom I have offended.

Good luck with your endeavors and have fun with anything you do/try - if you feel it has failed - don't throw it away - keep it and try it - who knows in a year or two it might be absolutely fantastic, you'll be glad you did then!

To teaspoon or not teaspoon that is the question :hmm: :rofl:

That is very much the beauty of this forum, discussion, exchange of views and ideas, no one falling out or playing silly buggers because someone doesn't agree with you, everyone has their say and the right to their opinion and you make your own idea up about what works for you ............ and on an odd occasion you might actually be right :lol: :thumb:

LeithR said:
I don't mean to offend or p***ed anybody off but brewing is not a science its a craft

Yes brewing is a craft and an art but it is backed up with hard science and even 1g per litre can be the difference between a gusher and a well carbed beer and since teaspoons heaped or not are likely to result in more than a gram difference then it is important.

We have to remember that this forum is frequented by a lot of novice brewers who see the advice of 'prime your bottle with 1tsp' and are likely to have not the best of results it is far better to educate someone into using best practice techniques which will ensure better results and a more pleasurable brewing experience. :thumb:

graysalchemy said:
brewing is a craft and an art but it is backed up with hard science

:thumb:

I think it's why brewing has captured my imagination so much. It is a perfect storm of science and art - EVERYTHING is chucked in there!

Biology & Biochemistry - Yeast wrangling
Chemistry - Water composition and treatment, catalysis
Physics - Absorption, specific and latent heat, thermal resistance and conductivity, fluid dynamics
Engineering - building shiny and plant process
Cookery - Recipe building, flavour profiling, practical skills like temp control etc
Art - well I haven't quite had the time for that but if I ever start labelling there is the potential to include digital graphics, photography whatever...

It's a true all-rounder's hobby!

So, as mentioned earlier, some say 1 level teaspoon is 6 grams, others say 4.2? It makes a big difference when priming :?
Im bottling my English bitter on Sunday, and as its my 1st attempt at brewing, i dont want bottle bombs or flat beer. :pray:

Think i may try batch priming my next batch of beers. In the past i have used what i would call a 'yorkshire teaspoon' lol as its the biggest t spoon i have. The turkish ones here are tiny in comparison but i do like fizzy. But not all peeps do and i had a couple pf complaints that the beer was too fizzy. Must admit i make most if not all my ciders with champagne yeast as i like the way it turns out and always bottle with a full t spoon of sugar, even some of the sugar i get here can be different - some like good old tate n lyle but some like castor sugar too.
Plus i've always been a lager drinker - living out of UK for many years beer could not be got unless it was crappy canned stuff.
So anyway batch priming will be next i reckon, not made any lager yet either ha ha :cheers:

Latest posts

Back