Priming bottles with a syringe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I won't be transferring to a bottling vessel so batch priming is an issue. I don't want to add the primer to the fermentor as I am concerned it won't mix evenly and I don't want to disturb the sediment.
That was a point that concerned me for a long time, however, I now blend in the priming solution slowly with a long paddle and then leave for 60 minutes before transferring. It probably helps that I use the Llallemand range of yeasts that form such a solid cake there is virtually no disturbance of sediment. I find the carbonation to be very evenly distributed.

Update:

200ml syringe worked a treat.

136g sugar topped up with water to get to 400ml volume. 40 bottles so 10ml per bottle.

Great success 👍

I have to be honest, I found the syrup and syringe method a bit of a ball ache!
It's not as easy as batch priming but it's less risky. I have an SS conical, SS bottling wand and silicone hose between them.

Tbh I use plastic buckets only for milling and general storage, washing, etc.

I did run a bit short of syrup and swapped to a measured teaspoon of sugar, 4g, with a funnel, was much quicker and easier for me. That said, I was using a 5ml calpol syringe and had a mix of 7.5ml per bottle lol! Plus, the solution didn't seem to dissolve fully so i had to mix it between syringe. Didn't make it easy for myself, but as an absolute amateur, I guess that's expected 😅

I did run a bit short of syrup and swapped to a measured teaspoon of sugar, 4g, with a funnel, was much quicker and easier for me. That said, I was using a 5ml calpol syringe and had a mix of 7.5ml per bottle lol! Plus, the solution didn't seem to dissolve fully so i had to mix it between syringe. Didn't make it easy for myself, but as an absolute amateur, I guess that's expected 😅
Oh lord that sounds like some pain in the hoop

I did run a bit short of syrup and swapped to a measured teaspoon of sugar, 4g, with a funnel, was much quicker and easier for me.
If that works for you, a zevro would really make your life easier.. You don't even have to make the syrup.

We seem to have to very similar threads going today.

If that works for you, a zevro would really make your life easier.. You don't even have to make the syrup.

We seem to have to very similar threads going today.
just out of curiosity, do you know what the variation of the dose dispensed by the zevro is? Does it vary by 1%, 5%, 10% etc dose to dose?

I'd be sold on a continuously adjustable zevro
It is a continually adjustable device.

It comes with a set of inserts.
From memory, ¼,½ & 1 teaspoon.
So it can dose any volume you want below 1 teaspoon.

2 bottle sizes. 2 different inserts. Sorted

It is a continually adjustable device.

It comes with a set of inserts.
From memory, ¼,½ & 1 teaspoon.
So it can dose any volume you want below 1 teaspoon.

2 bottle sizes. 2 different inserts. Sorted
Think that's more like a stepped interval/adjustment device with 1/4 tsp steps. You couldn't get 1/3 tsp for example.

Unless I have my terminology arsewards

So much easier to batch prime
nah, pros and cons for both methods. choose what suits you best. I used to batch prime but now bottle prime others may have swapped the other way around.
+ less to clean , less kit needed and no more (auto) syphon and syphoning issues, can individualy adjust priming levels across the batch

- more sediment in bottles as not racking off trub first. As there is no bottling bucket, using an fv with a tap has the potential to leak during the 2-3 weeks the beer is in the fv, potentially less uniform priming

= takes about same amount of time to package beers

If i'm bottling 5ltrs of cider i'll put the sugar into each bottle as its only 15 bottles, plus I add sweetener & health warning

When I bottle 20lts of beer i'll batch prime using the calculator and transfer to a clean fv and let it sit for an hour or so then bottle using the little bottler wand. Once made small faux pas and over sugared a 10ltr batch of BIAB bitter, the bottles didn't blow up but I wore most of the beer when I opened one, luckily it was in the bat cave

Latest posts

Back