Priming Courage Directors

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riverstar

Reaction score
The instructions with the kit suggests racking to a second bin bulk priming with 100 grammes for 36 pints then leaving in a warm place for three days before bottling, I am wondering how this will effect carbonation in the bottle. Will this result in a lower carbonation similar to a draft beer or still resemble a typical bottled beer.

Never come across that one before, I'd have thought the residual yeast would use most of that sugar in three days, make CO2, which you'd then lose most of to the atmosphere as the beer is warm so less able to hold dissolved CO2.

My advice, ignore the instructions and bottle with your 100g divided between the bottles which roughly equates to half a teaspoon per 500ml bottle. This should carbonate to somewhere nearing 2 volumes of CO2 which is about right for an ale.

+1 on above. athumb..
A week carbing in a warm place should see it done, but it does it no harm to leave it for two weeks if you are not sure.
And I dont know what the instructions tell you but I would say that, since its a darker kit beer, it will probably need another month conditioning on top of that, perhaps longer, before it starts to come good.

I have twigged what they mean, my misunderstanding. Bulk prime as suggested and leave in a warm place for three days then bottle using 1/2 tsp per pint.

I have twigged what they mean, my misunderstanding. Bulk prime as suggested and leave in a warm place for three days then bottle using 1/2 tsp per pint.
If I understand you correctly it sounds like a trip into the unknown if you ask me. If you add 100g of sugar to your beer then leave it three days there is no way of knowing how much of that sugar has fermented out. Then on top of that you add more sugar. If I were you I would not bother with the 100g, especially since its only worth about 0.2% ABV and contributes nothing but a little dryness to your beer, and then when the primary has well and truly finished just go ahead and bottle your beer with the 1/2tps sugar per pint which will give you a known degree of carbonation about right for the style of beer you are brewing.

Well blow me down, the instructions really do say that: https://www.muntons.com/wp-content/...age-Directors-instruction-leaflet-updated.pdf

You can follow that step if you wish and it will bump the final ABV up a bit but firstly make sure the extra sugar has fermented out before bottling (i.e. check with hydrometer) as it may take more than three days, secondly bottle with priming sugar added otherwise it will be flat.

But I wouldn't bother, you only risk spoiling the beer by moving it around too much and I can't see it making much (any) difference to the end product.

Back