Priming in bucket for beer kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_S_Jerusalem

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hello, so I heard that adding the sugar to the beer in the bucket just before priming (to go into bottles) is better than adding individual teaspoons to each bottle? Due to consistency.

So, does anyone know how much sugar I should add to my bucket? It will be 20 litres of cerveza (Which I think works out at 35 pints)

Many thanks

Hi. It's what I do. But be careful not to splash your beer. You don't want any o2 in your beer. How much sugar you use is depending on style, but I almost always just 6g/liter. So in your case heat up a little water and add 120g of sugar. Don't forget to stir it. Again without splashing. Just to mix it in, sometimes some of the sugar water will be at the bottom of the fermenter. Good luck :D

This is possibly one for the myths thread (Homebrew Beer Myths).

If you carefully measure your priming sugar or sugar solution (as I do with a syringe) priming individual bottles will have almost perfectly consistent carbonation.
You'll only achieve consistent amounts of sugar through using a bottling bucket if you thoroughly mix the dense sugar with the lighter beer. Stirring well enough to completely mix the two could introduce oxygen to the beer. That is to be avoided.

So you make your choice, simple priming with a bottling bucket with the risk of oxidation, or accurate priming through precise measurement into each bottle which is more of a faff.

It depends what you're happy with. I'll stick with bottle priming.

This is possibly one for the myths thread (Homebrew Beer Myths).

If you carefully measure your priming sugar or sugar solution (as I do with a syringe) priming individual bottles will have almost perfectly consistent carbonation.
You'll only achieve consistent amounts of sugar through using a bottling bucket if you thoroughly mix the dense sugar with the lighter beer. Stirring well enough to completely mix the two could introduce oxygen to the beer. That is to be avoided.

So you make your choice, simple priming with a bottling bucket with the risk of oxidation, or accurate priming through precise measurement into each bottle which is more of a faff.

It depends what you're happy with. I'll stick with bottle priming.
Bottling Is enough of a chore already... Can't imagine standing there with a syringe into each and every bottle... What, it takes like 5 minutes? Nope... Not doing it. Hehe

Back