Priming issue...underprimed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have bottled 2 AG brews, bottled on the 22/6 and 9/7. Both beers are undercarbed and I'm a bit at a loss why.

Both beers fermented out perfectly, spending 2 weeks in the fermenter. I bottled by making a priming solution in a bottling bucket. I didn't keep a record of the first beer, but the second had 56g caster sugar for 12l (4.7g per liter). The first beer has some carbonation, no head on the beer and it looks flat once poured (tastes fine tho!). The second beer, although still young, has more of a pfzz when opened but no head and still flattish. Again tastes great. I have conditioned around 20oC.

I used a calculator (maybe brewers friend) to work out sugar levels, and the level is good according to the table in the GH book. The bottles don't leak as I have some carbonation occurring, so I'm a little lost as to what's going on.

As caster sugar is just fine granulated sugar I can't see this being an issue. I wil up my sugar levels for my next brew, but by how much? Both beers were bitters and my next brew to bottle is an oat stout. Any advice would be great. Cheers.

I would up the conditioning temp up a few degrees before changing what you're doing; 20°C is on the cool side when bottle conditioning.
It might just take longer and you don't want them to end up being over carbonated. Patience is key.

Most people don't expect much of a head on bitters, but of course you don't want flat beer. But my advice would be, be cautious about increasing priming sugar. I started off on a basis of 3 g per 500 ml bottle, but have reduced that now to around the 2.4-2.7 g mark, depending on type. I would suggest that you are not far off. If you are currently at 2.35 g/bottle, I wouldn't go much above 2.5 g/bottle for another bitter. or an oatmeal stout. Caster sugar won't make any difference, as you say.

David's point is a fair one; the amount of priming sugar may not be the main factor here. As I say, I really don't think you are far out with your quantities anyway.

I would up the conditioning temp up a few degrees before changing what you're doing; 20°C is on the cool side when bottle conditioning.
It might just take longer and you don't want them to end up being over carbonated. Patience is key.
Great, thanks. Yes I don't want overcarbed bottles, and the first batch could easily have been short on sugar. I can't put them anywhere hotter, but happy to wait and see if the second batch improves 👍

is Nottingham suffering from a cold snap? Room temp is a balmy 24 deg up here in sunny Lancashire, and has been for weeks!

Most people don't expect much of a head on bitters, but of course you don't want flat beer. But my advice would be, be cautious about increasing priming sugar. I started off on a basis of 3 g per 500 ml bottle, but have reduced that now to around the 2.4-2.7 g mark, depending on type. I would suggest that you are not far off. If you are currently at 2.35 g/bottle, I wouldn't go much above 2.5 g/bottle for another bitter. or an oatmeal stout. Caster sugar won't make any difference, as you say.

David's point is a fair one; the amount of priming sugar may not be the main factor here. As I say, I really don't think you are far out with your quantities anyway.
Cheers. My first brews recently were kits which came with priming sugar. Using the same process and conditioning temperatures they primed very quickly, and a bit over primed for one beer. The difference between those any my sugar additions are quite stark. I'm not after a large head, more of wanting the beer to not taste flattish (the first AG). I guess I may have under primed the first one and second will come good with time. 🍻

Lol... thankfully not cold here! I have a room which keeps a constant temp as it doesn't get full sun. It's perfect for storing my beer without large temp swings. I did have them briefly my fermentation fridge but that put the breaks on brewing so they were quickly moved 😂😂

Lol... thankfully not cold here! I have a room which keeps a constant temp as it doesn't get full sun. It's perfect for storing my beer without large temp swings. I did have them briefly my fermentation fridge but that put the breaks on brewing so they were quickly moved 😂😂

I also do small batches of 11-12L and 56g is fine. Temperature and time are your friends here.

How do you prime? In bottle or batch? If the latter a gentle stir may help distribute the sugar. Be careful not to introduce too much air though.

I started stirring after one early batch of mine had 18 flat bottles and 2 volcanoes because the sugar was unevenly distributed.

I also do small batches of 11-12L and 56g is fine. Temperature and time are your friends here.

How do you prime? In bottle or batch? If the latter a gentle stir may help distribute the sugar. Be careful not to introduce too much air though.

I started stirring after one early batch of mine had 18 flat bottles and 2 volcanoes because the sugar was unevenly distributed.
I batch prime but don't stir. I add the sugar solution to a barrel and then transfer the beer into it, relying on the flow of beer to mix with the sugar. I haven't had any inconsistencies in the past so presume mixing is going well. I think being a bit more patient is the key. I'm glad I have the sugar quantity ok. 👍

Was the beer at ambient temp when you bottled and if so did you account for it (being relatively warm recently)?
I ferment around 20oC in a fridge so it was fine when being bottled. Maybe the temp in my utility room is slightly lower (even during the recent hot weather), so maybe it's more a case of me being patient with the second brew, especially as I seem to have the correct sugar amounts compared to others who have replied. I think the first brew must have been underprimed as it's been in the bottle for quite a few weeks now.

What Yeast are you using? There's another thread on here about how MJ Liberty Bell can be a slow burner. I used it in a stout that was flatter than the Fens after 2 weeks but perfect about 5 or 6.

What Yeast are you using? There's another thread on here about how MJ Liberty Bell can be a slow burner. I used it in a stout that was flatter than the Fens after 2 weeks but perfect about 5 or 6.
Interesting! I used MJ44 with the first brew and US-05 with the second. I'll have a look online to see if I find anything about them taking longer than expected. 🍻

I suspect there is too little active yeast available after 14 days in fermenter. Bottle one bottle daily from day 7 - see what happens...

I suspect there is too little active yeast available after 14 days in fermenter. Bottle one bottle daily from day 7 - see what happens...
I may have to investigate this. I bottled an oatmeal stout last night after 15 days in the fermenter. I added the priming solution into a bottling bucket and bottled as normal. I decided to drink the bit I couldn't get into a bottle at the end and noticed it was quite sweet, not like the taste I had at the start of bottling. I'm now thinking that my mixing method isn't quite working and I may also have to stir the beer gently before bottling. When I do my next batch in a week or so I will keep a closer eye on the gravity and bottle around day 10 if it's ready and see if this makes a difference. Cheers for your advice. 👍

Back