Priming Quanitity - Brewing Sugar

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EG_Wanna_Be

Reaction score
Hey guys! I bottled last night, and I am wondering if someone can give me a non-scientific but reasonable to follow way of estimating the amount of priming sugar/solution to use?

I ended up going with 70g of brewing sugar for about 18L of beer, though I ended up finding a Nomograph which said that I should be using somewhere in the neighborhood of 3oz, which I read to be 85g... My biggest concern was not producing bottle bombs... can anyone with some experience tell me whether or not I have grossly under-fizzed these puppies?

It's an IPA kit
OG: 1.050
FG: 1.014
Final Volume: 18L (3.95 Gallons)

Thanks dudes!

Evan

That is absolutely spot on for a nice carbonation for an IPA.

I would have gone heavier but I like mine a little fizzier.

Remember to keep notes on things like this - it makes adjustments on future brews easier. :thumb:

graysalchemy said:
calumscott said:

Ever the Scot..............................

A pint of tennants :lol: :lol:

Oi!

Ahem, I might still have the obligatory pint of tennants every time I go north

calumscott said:
That is absolutely spot on for a nice carbonation for an IPA.

Remember to keep notes on things like this - it makes adjustments on future brews easier. :thumb:

Solid advice....get a wee notebook and keep accurate records for each brew. It has really helped me to learn and make adjustments as I make more brews

Wicked, thanks for the feedback guys!

I am in love with brewing, and I am really looking forward to tasting it, though I now have two FVs that are empty, and an itch to go Extract or Partial... I really don't need to fire £50-£60 at a huge pot at the moment though... but it would mean I have some extra beer for Christmas... hmmm... decisions decisions!

On the subject of logging your brews, does anyone do this with software? I was hoping it would be in Beersmith, along with a sort of 'Brew Calendar' to track brews, but I guess not. Perhaps I simply need another Outlook Calendar with tasting notes and recipe notes throughout.

Cheers again guys!

Beersmith does it.

The concept though is aimed more at AG brewing. You build or find a recipe, brew it, then there is a "Add to brewlog" option.

The trouble with kits of course is that its hard to figure out stuff like the IBU of the kit extract and whatnot. I guess you could just create a "Woodfordes Wherry" (or whatever you've brewed) ingredient and just tinker with it until you are happy that it looks like what you brewed. I've tried to do some of my kits but it's hard going...

I just use an old school hardback book to write in :eek: :eek:

Hopefully it will become a family heirloom that my future great grand kids may cherish and try to recreate what we drank at the turn of the century :lol: :lol:

Failing that an excel worksheet would do the job. :thumb:

Hi guys the next brew i will be bottling, will be in mixed sized bottles, eg 500ml, 660 ml and some grilsh bottles that are less than 500 ml. Question is can i prime all the bottles with the same amount ? How critical is the amount? Maybe batch primeing as calum suggests in other threads is the answer, but for now , im talking about primeing the bottles. :thumb:

Having spent the last few nights scrubbing and washing old manky Newcastle brown bottles for my Yorkshire bitter, do I have to put brewers sugar in for priming or can I use bog standard tate & Lyle? Also I had just planned to put 1/2 a level tspoon of sugar in each bottle........ now your all getting technical with weights, do I need to get technical? :wha:

Bog standard Tate and Lyle is mote than adequate.

Batch priming is you best bet even if you are using bottles all the same size s it is more accurate, hence why I sugested a rate per litre.

Sorry for being a complete noob, So I rack off the full 40 pints, then prime in one go, then bottle the same day? Sounds a lot easier than spooning sugar into bottles. Thank you :)

What about a stickie on batch primeing? Im quite new to all this and thought putting sugar into the bottles was the way to go, but listening to the more experiencied brewers on here i stand corrected. Well, any chance of a stickie, as i cant find where i read the how to. :thumb:

I have just read the "OMG I don't want to mess up my first brew" thread. Wish I had read that last week before I started my first beer. But at least I know to leave my beer for a few more days before I prime it.

bottler said:
Hi guys the next brew i will be bottling, will be in mixed sized bottles, eg 500ml, 660 ml and some grilsh bottles that are less than 500 ml. Question is can i prime all the bottles with the same amount ? How critical is the amount? Maybe batch primeing as calum suggests in other threads is the answer, but for now , im talking about primeing the bottles. :thumb:

Honestly batch prime once and you'll never look back. Here's a link to a really good, straight-forward "how-to" or batch priming and bottling http://www.brewuk.co.uk/store/barrel-bottle :thumb:

bottler said:
What about a stickie on batch primeing? Im quite new to all this and thought putting sugar into the bottles was the way to go, but listening to the more experiencied brewers on here i stand corrected. Well, any chance of a stickie, as i cant find where i read the how to. :thumb:

The link above will do, and there is also this one if you want one locally: http://thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=8536

Latest posts

Back