Priming sugar per litre

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulgough

Reaction score
I'm hoping to bottle my ESB clone this weekend.

It's been in secondary FV for a week and I am hoping to batch prime for the first time.

How much sugar per litre should I use?

I was going to mix the sugar with some boiled water and add this to a bottling bucket before racking the beer on top.

Is this good practice?

Depends how fizzy you want it, go with 100g if you don't want it too fizzy or up to 150 g if you like it fizzy.

Pawlo7671 said:
Depends how fizzy you want it, go with 100g if you don't want it too fizzy or up to 150 g if you like it fizzy.

Pawlo perhaps you should say how much volume of beer that carbonated, not everyone does 5 gallon batches.

Personally I use 4g /L for a bitter and stout and pale ale and as much as 6-7g/L for a fizzy cider.

:thumb:

It's a personal thing...

I like 5g/l for bitter types, a bit more for pales and 8g/l for lagers and ciders and such.

I remember reading something from the brewdog guys about their carb levels (which some argue are too high...) and they reckon that a good fizz works well with highly levels of aroma and dry hopping (so things like their Punk and Hardcore IPAs) as it carries the interesting volatiles firstly up your nose from the glass for what we perceive to be aroma, then through effervescence in the mouth carried on exhalation up your nose from the other end for what we perceive as complex hop flavour.

It would be really interesting to find some proper science on the flavour and aroma compounds in beer, after all there's a fair few more than hop oils like esters from the yeast and such, and how the mechanisms of fizz and heat in the mouth release them...

...for now though I reckon it sounds pretty plausible.

Got some nice little scales from lidl for a fiver.

IMG_20210306_123119840.jpg

Plenty of calculators on line where you can choose the beer style and it will give you a typical carbonation range. I tend to choose middle of the range and go with that. Not had an issue with carbonation yet.

150 g of sugar dissolved in 350 ml of boiled water,
Syringe 10 ml per 500 ml bottle.
20ml per Litre of beer in barrel.

Back