Priming sugar put in before fermentation!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeBusby

Reaction score
I guess I was more tired than I thought yesterday!

I ended up putting my priming sugar into my new hefeweizen brew just after transferring into my FV! For information, this is a 23L batch, the OG was 1.053 and the yeast is the very active CML Gretel (single sachet). The amount of cane sugar put in was 265g.

Obviously this will potentially end up with a higher ABV, but my concern is whether the there will now be enough yeast to handle this amount of sugar. I do have another sachet if required.

So, my questions are:

1. How much higher will the ABV be because of the extra sugar?
2. Will the yeast cope?
3. If not, how much more shall I add, and when should it be added?

Just for info, this yeast is pretty virulent and the fermentation is expected to be complete within about 3 days.

Be grand wont make much difference I'm sure one of the many wizards here can give u a precise calculation
But shouldn't be much higher

This amount of sugar will add maybe .004 points to your OG, so maybe half a percent to your ABV. Honestly I wouldn’t worry about it (what I would worry about is that if it’s anything like my Wheat beer it might try to escape the fermentor seriously came down to my utility room to find the beer at 25C and a strong smell of banana as the towels wrapped around it where soaked) still tastes good).

I could be horribly wrong but I really cannot see this as being as issue.

Hello MikeB.
As the others have said, you won't even notice the difference. You'll need another bit of sugar, at the end, though, to prime your bottles with.
No harm done at all. I could tell you some of the daft things I've done over the years through not paying attention, but some are just too embarrassing, so I won't.

This amount of sugar will add maybe .004 points to your OG, so maybe half a percent to your ABV. Honestly I wouldn’t worry about it (what I would worry about is that if it’s anything like my Wheat beer it might try to escape the fermentor seriously came down to my utility room to find the beer at 25C and a strong smell of banana as the towels wrapped around it where soaked) still tastes good).

I could be horribly wrong but I really cannot see this as being as issue.
Thanks. I have a blow off tube which is going like the clappers at the moment!

Arghh, @obscure got there before me but I’ll post anyway...

In theory you get 46 points for 1 lb of sugar in 1 US gallon.

You have the equivalent of about 0.5 lbs so that would give 23 points but you also have 6 US gallons so we need to divide by 6. So you’ll get about 4 points.

The yeast won’t attenuate all the sugar so allowing for say 80% you’ll add around 0.4%

I don’t have experience of that yeast but I’d say you’ll be okay. The lag time before fermentation might be extended a little. You are at the top end of the gravity/volume for a single pack though.

Thanks. I have a blow off tube which is going like the clappers at the moment!
Wish I’d had that foresight (planning to do a 9L batch in a 23L fermentor next time with CML Gretel as well (I used FM Cloves and Banana on my last batch) am curious how strong the banana flavour is with this one.

Wish I’d had that foresight (planning to do a 9L batch in a 23L fermentor next time with CML Gretel as well (I used FM Cloves and Banana on my last batch) am curious how strong the banana flavour is with this one.
I will let you know in a week or so.

Back