Priming sugar type question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I.c.whitts

Reaction score
Hi all
Iv got Tiny Rebal Cwtch kit due to be barrelled now. The kits asks for light spraymalt to prime with. I ordered some last week but it’s not yet arrived, I’m a couple days overdue the stated fermentation period and my bubbles have slowed considerably so it’s ready to go. Do I wait another day or so in hope or substitute for a different sugar? I have some dextrose in another kit I could barrow.
Also will waiting have an effect of the taste of the dry hoppy added after 4 days?
Thanks

Another few days won't hurt, just don't peek. Bubbles say not much about fermentation by the way, hydrometer readings do. But just wait a bit more.

Patience, padawan!

Another few days won't hurt, just don't peek. Bubbles say not much about fermentation by the way, hydrometer readings do. But just wait a bit more.

Patience, padawan!
Thanks. I agree another day will be fine which I think I will do. I read somewhere about not to dry hop to soon as the hops will lose favour (don’t ask me where) don’t know how true that is?! and I assume the spraymalt is to give a smoother finish.
My reading at dry hopping was significantly lower than I expected it to be so I’m confident Iv had a really good fermentation. Hence my eagerness to crack on and I’m on day 12 instead of 10.
Good old Royal Mail second class post throwing spanner's!
(Love the Star Wars quote)

Thanks. I agree another day will be fine which I think I will do. I read somewhere about not to dry hop to soon as the hops will lose favour (don’t ask me where) don’t know how true that is?! and I assume the spraymalt is to give a smoother finish.
My reading at dry hopping was significantly lower than I expected it to be so I’m confident Iv had a really good fermentation. Hence my eagerness to crack on and I’m on day 12 instead of 10.
Good old Royal Mail second class post throwing spanner's!
(Love the Star Wars quote)
One of the first things I learned on here when I started brewing: Ignore the instructions times! Second thing: Get a hydrometer!

Every kit I brew I go by the 2/2/2 method. 2 weeks fermenting, 2 weeks carbonating & 2 weeks (minimum) clearing. Darker ales definitely longer to clear, but something like an IPA from mangrove jacks is always clear & drinkable after 2 weeks. Improves over the next few weeks and is best at 2-4 months with the hops still giving off aromas.

Wait for your spraymalt and have a great beer rather than a nearly great beer. Or pop into a Wilko's and you can buy it in there for £4-6. Sounds like you're going to have some fun with the brewing. I'd start your next brew pretty soon, so you can be enjoying this beer whilst your new beer is brewing (also distracts you from the wait)

Cheers
K

One of the first things I learned on here when I started brewing: Ignore the instructions times! Second thing: Get a hydrometer!

Every kit I brew I go by the 2/2/2 method. 2 weeks fermenting, 2 weeks carbonating & 2 weeks (minimum) clearing. Darker ales definitely longer to clear, but something like an IPA from mangrove jacks is always clear & drinkable after 2 weeks. Improves over the next few weeks and is best at 2-4 months with the hops still giving off aromas.

Wait for your spraymalt and have a great beer rather than a nearly great beer. Or pop into a Wilko's and you can buy it in there for £4-6. Sounds like you're going to have some fun with the brewing. I'd start your next brew pretty soon, so you can be enjoying this beer whilst your new beer is brewing (also distracts you from the wait)

Cheers
K
Thanks for your reply K
Yes Iv been enjoying getting the kit back out (I shelved it a good few years back after a couple of mixed results) and I’v learned a lot asking simple questions on here. This is my 3rd kit since my return but first which asks for something other than table sugar or drops to prime with.
my hydrometer dropped from 1044 to 1012 in 4 days. Iv not done one since sad I don’t like to mess about with it. This tiny rebel kit smelt amazing. Even the bubbles smelt good that first week.

Thanks for your reply K
Yes Iv been enjoying getting the kit back out (I shelved it a good few years back after a couple of mixed results) and I’v learned a lot asking simple questions on here. This is my 3rd kit since my return but first which asks for something other than table sugar or drops to prime with.
my hydrometer dropped from 1044 to 1012 in 4 days. Iv not done one since sad I don’t like to mess about with it. This tiny rebel kit smelt amazing. Even the bubbles smelt good that first week.

And after initial fermentation yeast needs to do some cleanup of byproducts and the like. Two weeks is normal for average strength brews. But if I had the choice between sugar or spraymalt for priming, I'd go for spraymalt.

The amount of actual improvement by using anything other than table sugar to prime your beer is likely to be next to nothing.
Yes you are right. I should have said "never settle for 2nd best"

Thanks for your reply K

my hydrometer dropped from 1044 to 1012 in 4 days. .
I had a kit ferment to 1010 in 2 days on my 4th brew. I thought it had stuck or I hadn't aired it enough. Until I checked the hydrometer ! That was good beer

The amount of actual improvement by using anything other than table sugar to prime your beer is likely to be next to nothing.
you can get light malt extract or brewing sugar from wilkos. wrong message to reply to. sorry terry I'm p!55ed.

to whoever I should have replied to: brewing sugar = dextrose and is a mono-saccharide. sucrose is a di-saccharide and made up of glucose & fructose to the yeast have to work harder to break it down. However if you can tell the difference or not when using one over the other at priming may well depend on your palate.

Last edited:
I bottled my Cwtch 10 days ago after batch priming with Dextrose. Really looking forward to trying a bottle in another couple of weeks.

I bottled my Cwtch 10 days ago after batch priming with Dextrose. Really looking forward to trying a bottle in another couple of weeks.
I was going to use dextrose as a substitute but my light spreymalt showed up today. So all systems are go. I’m barrelling as Iv got larger in all my bottles. Hope yours turns out as good as mine smelt 👍

Good choice with the Dextrose. That spraymalt was a bit on the clumpy side.

I hope so 😗. Just need to decide on the next brew. Fancy doing a very small batch extract pilsner style with Californian common yeast, maybe only 3L

Hi Terry M,
I've just barreled my 4th comeback kit and on the same day my third batch (bottled) was ready for sampling, I'd used honey to prime. When I took the cap off, at first I thought it hadn't sealed because it was quiet. When I poured, it was like champagne. The fizz kept going right to the end of the glass. Bubbles are maybe not for everyone, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Whether it was the honey or the type of kit I'm not sure.
Terry W

Hi Terry M,
I've just barreled my 4th comeback kit and on the same day my third batch (bottled) was ready for sampling, I'd used honey to prime. When I took the cap off, at first I thought it hadn't sealed because it was quiet. When I poured, it was like champagne. The fizz kept going right to the end of the glass. Bubbles are maybe not for everyone, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Whether it was the honey or the type of kit I'm not sure.
Terry W
Sounds like another miracle. Water into wine. Kit beer into champagne. athumb..

Just wondered if anyone has used bodybuilders pure dextrose for brewing as it seems cheaper than the same thing marketed as brewing sugars. (eg Wilko brewing sugar is £6 per kilo whereas as bodybuilder dextrose (100% dextrose monohydrate) on Amazon is £7.99 for 2 kilos)

Follow me to the promised land.
I've just opened another bottle tonight and it's as flat as an apple tart. I suspect the cap hadn't sealed, so forget that. My miracles are subject to basic science after all.

how was the rest of your batch? was it flat or fizzy?

I made an apple juice wine last year and forgot to stop the fermentation so when I opened a bottle after a month or so that was fizzy like champagne and tbh it was very nice. Don't know if I could do it again but when I collect enough champagne bottles I will give it a go as I have some proper caps now.

Really fizzy the best I've brewed so far. I will always use honey for priming from now on. I have no knowledge of the dextrose, sorry. Since I'v started making beer again keeping detailed logs is crucial for repeating a winning formula. I'm thinking of making some elderberry wine in the autumn. Did some in 1983 from a Boots winemaking book, It was awesome, kept some for 10 years and it was even better a bit like port, very rich.

Back