Priming Sugar- which to use?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I started brewing in 1990 I used 1/2 teaspoon of corn sugar per 12 oz. bottle measured with a leveled off teaspoon.

Then started bulk priming. Then bulk priming with DME.

Couple years ago I started using the "Domino's Dots" sugar cubes.

Bottled a batch last Saturday and used 1/2 teaspoon of table sugar per bottle measured with a leveled off teaspoon. What goes around........

If you get a heaping scoop of sugar then use something like a credit card to scrape across the top of the measure to level it off you'd be surprised how consistent a measure you can get. As measuring spoons do vary the trick is finding one with the exact volume you want .

I use these for some precision measuring. They're cheap and give you a pretty wide range of defined measure. Hopefully this picture isn't violating any board policy.

Attachments

• s-l1000.jpg
    s-l1000.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 110
Last month I primed with light spray malt as my kit stated to use It. It clumped together resulting in me having to really stir it in. The beer does taste really good but it has a lot of dry hops. It is quite flat even tho I carbed up for 3x the requested warm spot days. (2 days on instructions I carbed for 7)

I've just found some golden granulated sugar in the cupboard. Is that sound for a dark ale? Never really used it before, but it's got a bit of a demerera smell to it.

Hi guys! First time poster with very limited home brew experience (I've only brewed a handful of times to mixed outcomes)..

As a main sugar used in primary fermentation, in the past, I have used white table sugar, dextrose, honey and spray malt (in different combinations) and as a priming sugar I've used carbonation drops and Dextrose. I am after the best priming sugar for an American style IPA. My kit's manufacturer says to use 1 tsp of white granulated sugar per 500ml bottle but after a bit of googling I've heard mixed reviews about imparting unwanted flavours. I am using dextrose in the main brew.. does anyone know which sugar I should use as a primer? Does it make much difference?

I also don't want to batch prime, I am just looking to prime per bottle.

Thank you! acheers.

For priming, so far I have used normal table sugar, dextrose, and a mix of both in different proportions, no enough experience to notice any difference though.
My last batch was a Mangrove Jacks Raspberry Berliner Weisse and I used half dextrose half Wheat DME, the best so far, not sure if it was the beer (wheat?) or the primming I used, but it has very fine bubbles and nice compact head.

Latest posts

Back