Problem syphoning my brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, taps all the way.

Of course, as your beer clears the sediment slowly drifts down towards the bottom, so if you're syphoning then of course it'll start off clear and get hazier as you syphon from lower in the FV. Opposite way round if you drain from a tap - cloudy first then clear after a bit.

But don't worry, after a few weeks in the bottle all the sediment will be firmly glued to the bottom of the bottle unless you're using something exotic like a saison yeast.

Or CML ale yeast...

20180704_180542_HDR.jpg

For the last 10 or so brews I've simplified my bottling to a very basic level. I do have a little bottler and an auto syphon and always have the syphon sanitised in case
this basic method doesn't work.

IMG_20180707_100821383_HDR.jpg

It's just a length of food safe tubing with a festival filter tied to it (both sanitised of course). Doesn't seem to be a problem with either leaf or pellet hops.
Bottled 21 litres in 20 mins yesterday using this method.
Works great for me with bottles and 5ltr easy kegs.

Both @Gunge and @johnbarleycorn have great ideas but combine both by fitting a tap and maybe the night before bottling take your FV out and at the tap side use a book or a few table mats to raise it up about 2" which will let the sediment level out with gravity leaving the tap side free of sediment.
On the other hand if you don't fit a tap get be sure to get rid of that hand pump and either join the syphon tube or get a new piece then submerse in sanitiser filling the hose and plug the open end with your thumb which will create a vacuum holding the liquid in place,place the filter end into your FV and making sure you lower your thumb end about a foot below the FV base into a jug or empty bottle and release your thumb causing a gravity siphon.
When you see your beer flowing and you will just pinch the hose to restrict the flow and bottle from there and you could also fit a bottling wand oh and its a good idea to get an old but clean FV or trug and place your bottles inside that for filling so when you have spillage and you will it shall be contained[emoji106]

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back