Programmable Temperature & Time Controller

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rory_way

Reaction score
Hello there,

I'm after a temperature controller that can handle time control so it can do a stepped mash through to boil, basically to replicate a grainfather controller. Ideally it would be able to ramp up to the next step before the timer started too.

Any ideas on what to get? I've seen this which I think would probably do it but the documentation is not that simple to understand.

Anyone done this in the past?

Thanks,
Rory

What you've linked to is just a PID controller which would control the temperature but it doesn't have a timer function, this would have to be incorporated separately. Also Inkbird do a cheaper version of the same thing here.

What you've linked to is just a PID controller which would control the temperature but it doesn't have a timer function, this would have to be incorporated separately. Also Inkbird do a cheaper version of the same thing here.

Ah I see, I thought you could set intervals with that.

Thanks for the link, I may get one of those in the meant time.

Looks like you can just get the Grainfather Connect Controller for about the £90 mark. In terms of connecting this, the bottom of the controller has 3 kettle lead inputs - one for power in, and two outs - one for pump and one for heat. I'm sure you could connect a normal heating element to the heat out socket.

I did have a look for a programmable PID a little while back but couldn't find anything sensible.

Looks like you can just get the Grainfather Connect Controller for about the £90 mark. In terms of connecting this, the bottom of the controller has 3 kettle lead inputs - one for power in, and two outs - one for pump and one for heat. I'm sure you could connect a normal heating element to the heat out socket.

I did have a look for a programmable PID a little while back but couldn't find anything sensible.

That's what I was thinking, I'd get the grainfather functionality that way too. I'll keep looking but may resort to that. Where do you see it for £90 btw? I saw The Home Brewery sell it.

That's what I was thinking, I'd get the grainfather functionality that way too. I'll keep looking but may resort to that. Where do you see it for £90 btw? I saw The Home Brewery sell it.

That's probably the one I saw. I see The Malt Miller do it for £109. But then you start wondering whether to double that kind of money and just get a Klarstein mash kettle instead.

If you're happy doing a bit of DIY electronics I think that craftbeerpi might do what you want for cheap http://web.craftbeerpi.com/

Looking at their Wiki it certainly looks like you can put steps in https://github.com/Manuel83/craftbeerpi/wiki/Steps

If you're reasonably confident that you could wire the thing together but are worried about debugging I'm sure I can help out if you struggle

Ah I saw that ages ago but forgot about it. I think I'll do that, should be relatively easy. I already have all the bits. I may be in touch though!

I have a a fully programmable PID , it was and is very complex to use and it was expensive.

If you don't mind the DIY then look at building a CraftBeerPi it will do nearly everything you could think of.

Aamcle

Latest posts

Back