Proper Job

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, hops are timed at minutes from the END of the boil. Hop stand is adding hops into cooler wort - 85 deg C is the oft quoted temp. Just let the hops steep to extract aroma without (much) bitterness.
mm so is the boil bit the same as the mash bit ? Wot you do first? Apologies.

No...the malt is mashed in hot water for the specified time,this turns the starch into sugar. Then more hot water is used to wash the sugars from the grain...this is called sparging. The liquid collected is called wort,this is what is boiled,and the hops added to to give bitterness,flavour and aroma.

Step 1 - mash the grains at around 66 deg for time given in the recipe
Step 2 - run off the wort into the boiler and sparge (rinse) out the sugar from the grain
Step 3 - boil, adding hops at the stated times
Step 4 - cool to a temperature where it’s safe to pitch the yeast
Step 5 - transfer to fermenter, stir vigorously to get oxygen dissolved so the yeast can multiply quickly
Step 6 - pitch yeast, seal fermenter and add your airlock.

all being well fermentation will kick off in a few hours, 2 weeks later the beer should be ready to either chill to clear any remaining yeast (cold crashing) then finally barrel, keg or bottle and leave to condition.

Hope this quick guide to grain beer brewing helps.

asad.
No...the malt is mashed in hot water for the specified time,this turns the starch into sugar. Then more hot water is used to wash the sugars from the grain...this is called sparging. The liquid collected is called wort,this is what is boiled,and the hops added to to give bitterness,flavour and aroma.
TY @Clint that's another new word ive learnt today - of which that's 3 and I seem to be doing them too! Now. my brain hurts is it too early for ale? 😂
Curry night tonight right?acheers.

Step 1 - mash the grains at around 66 deg for time given in the recipe
Step 2 - run off the wort into the boiler and sparge (rinse) out the sugar from the grain
Step 3 - boil, adding hops at the stated times
Step 4 - cool to a temperature where it’s safe to pitch the yeast
Step 5 - transfer to fermenter, stir vigorously to get oxygen dissolved so the yeast can multiply quickly
Step 6 - pitch yeast, seal fermenter and add your airlock.

all being well fermentation will kick off in a few hours, 2 weeks later the beer should be ready to either chill to clear any remaining yeast (cold crashing) then finally barrel, keg or bottle and leave to condition.

Hope this quick guide to grain beer brewing helps.
TY @Cheyne_brewer yep I get it now. a little more sinks in each day the more I read. My first ever kit you see. AG too. So I was following the destructions which it appears were specifically written for me devoid of all these "big" words like "boil" "mash" sparge" "wort" - I do feel dead clever now though as it appears ive already done them all!clapa

asad.
TY @Clint that's another new word ive learnt today - of which that's 3 and I seem to be doing them too! Now. my brain hurts is it too early for ale? 😂
Curry night tonight right?acheers.
You'll get there...
As for curry...well,you never know...planning Chinese curry tonight...Indian tomorrow..

You'll get there...
As for curry...well,you never know...planning Chinese curry tonight...Indian tomorrow..
Most excellent. I use that Chinese curry paste...for injuns I make from scratch. Tonight I think it will be a totally invented (already in fridge) "coconut veg masala. & I decided some tandoori chicken sqewers. Could go either way on rice or flat bread. Anyways more importantly im in a "code red" situation.......BEER SHELF EMPTY! excepting for 1 emergency can of Neck Oil! That needs rectifying pronto.
Calling the red cross for a heli drop of Proper Job & Punk IPA... 😂

Yes I intend to investigate the Chinese curry paste when I nip to pick up eldest son from college...brew day permitting of course!
You can get the paste from tescos. 2 sorts. World foods section. I get the hotter one. Or just add tiny bit of chilli powder to the standard (girls) one. 😂😉
If you foil tray the finished article up. Shove it in a bag and place on doorstep you wont know the difference between it and an actual take away!

PS. Stand down the missiles. Code Red averted. 🍻💪

Attachments

• 20201009_151242.jpg
    20201009_151242.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 63
I could deliver myself a takeaway! I hope I don't get lost and it ends up late and stone cold...
You would have to phone yourself up and gove yourself a dn good talking to oh and probably try and get a siscount for the next time! Or. If its chinese.... buy one and give yourself a 'free calendar!' 😂😂😂😂😂

When we had a decent Indian,a few years ago,we used to order most weeks...they used to send bottles of Cobra free with my order!
Once the Indian man cheekily opened my door before I got to it to be met by my old JRT Bramble...the look of fright and him jumping backwards and slamming the door was quite funny! Only that the dog couldn't get a grip on our floor saved him a bit of a nipping!

You do a 60 min mash (to extract the sugars from the grains)

Then you do a 60 min boil
(hop additions are timed from the end of the boil, as @Cheyne_brewer says)

10g Chinook @ 60 min = add when it starts boiling
10g Willamette @ 60min = add when it starts boiling

10g Chinook @ 30 min = add after 30 mins (from start of boil)
10g Willamette @ 30min = add after 30 mins
13g Cascade @ 30 min = add after 30 mins

7g Chinook @ 15 min = add after 45 mins (from start of boil)
20g Willamette @ 15min = add after 45 mins
20g Cascade @15 min = add after 45 mins

Then after 60 mins boiling, turn off the heat, let it cool down to about 85C and then add the hop stand hops. Leave them for 20 mins to infuse.
8g Chinook @ hopstand 20 min
24g Willamette @ hopstand 20 min
26g Cascade @ hopstand 20 min
Leave them for 20 mins to infuse.

Then cool your wort to 18C and add yeast to ferment.

OK funsters...after moderate success with my first small batch AG brew from a kit Im going head first into ordering the ingredients for a clone PJ in the hope it will be ready for xmas.
Exciting times!

Here is the Grainfather recipe, as I copied it from the BrewUK instructions.
They were specific about the hop schedule, but for the grist I just weighed the lot and put it all in a MO pale.
OG came out a bit lower then indicated on the attached.

View attachment 11349
This is the Grainfather recipe. I use a Peco boiler would following this Grainfather recipe be o.k. in the Peco? If not, do you have any suggestions for adjustment?

For the AG version (23L):

5.5Kg Maris Otter Pale

60 min boil

10g Chinook @ 60 min
10g Willamette @ 60min

10g Chinook @ 30 min
10g Willamette @ 30min
13g Cascade @ 30 min

7g Chinook @ 15 min
20g Willamette @ 15min
20g Cascade @15 min

8g Chinook @ hopstand 20 min
24g Willamette @ hopstand 20 min
26g Cascade @ hopstand 20 min

Danstar Nottingham yeast

For extract, use about 3.5Kg light dried malt extract plus the hop schedule above, and I think that will turn out the same. @Darrellm will be able to correct me if i am wrong.
I've seen Proper Job recipes with exactly the same ingredients including hops, but they specify a 90minute boil. Any idea why they would suggest such a long boil time? Seems quite long to me.

Latest posts

Back