Proper scrumpy, not TC, or sparkling stuff?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gearlesssginger

Reaction score
I have been given 2 small fruit presses and have access to a lot of apples. Being a drinker of proper farmhouse scrumpy (dry, still, warm, bits in, etc), I want to make my own but have a few questions:

I have seen details of people using a cleaned garden shredder to mash the apples before they press - has anyone seen or done this?
I dont want to use demi-johns, could I use 2 fermenting buckets for each fermentation before bottling the final cider?
Does anyone know where to get those plastic "bag in box" bags from, that can be filled but have a tap to help shelf-life?
Anyone South Wales area already make their own cider, so I can crib ideas, etc, from?

Appreciate any advice, support, guidance, etc.

thanks

I've used a garden shredder instead of a proper scratter and it works just fine. You may need to cut a bit out of the plastic feed slot at the top. Halve and quarter your apples before feedling them in.
Advice:
If you're thinking in terms of demijjeans, get a bigger press. But they're just fine for your first, trial run.
if you live in South Wales, get yourself down to Gwynt y Ddraig in Llantwit Fardre. It's a good decade or so since I was down that way, but it's lovely cider and good, helpful folk.
I don't know where you can buy the boxes you mention but Heck's in Street Somerset used to use them and probably still do. They might sell you some or at least put you on the right track. They're helpful too.

The only two things I miss about living in England (or Wales for that matter) is beer festivals and scrumpy cider.

Last edited:
Back