Prosecco!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just bottled this one...normally only do kits but thought id give this ago.....well what can I say wasn't expecting anything other than drain cleaner but it's quite good the wife likes it flat like rose wine.

Just waiting for it to fizz up!

Bottom line in now hooked on home made home brews! Lol

Excellent thanks

should I go for all purpose white wine yeast or sparkling wine yeast? what temperature does the wine ferment and condition at? is there a way we could ramp up the abv to be closer to that of Prosecco?

are there any guidelines for the brewing etc for a first time wine maker like me? how long does it need to be in the fv ad at what temp, what should it drop to and when do you add the sugar and bottle it etc/

Depends on how much you are making?

I made the recipe with 1 gallon/ 5 liters. I just sprinkled some on top to be honest. tried not to use as much as half so I guess I will see how it goes. What I'm not sure is, how long will it take for the first fermentation and at what FG should I put it in bottles?

Also, does anyone have a sugar g/l guide for priming this one?

So my "Prosecco" has been fermenting 13 days now, I was wondering whether I could bottle it tomorrow.
Yesterday I checked the SG and it was 998 (OG was 1.062) (It's hard to get a good reading because of the bubbles floating the hydrometer up). I've used champagne yeast fermenting at room temperature - do you think it will get much lower?

Also I've noticed that it's getting really dry, which is nice but I was wondering if there's anything I could do to give it a tad more sweetness? I don't think the carbonation sugar will make a difference to that, will it?

So my "Prosecco" has been fermenting 13 days now, I was wondering whether I could bottle it tomorrow.
Yesterday I checked the SG and it was 998 (OG was 1.062) (It's hard to get a good reading because of the bubbles floating the hydrometer up). I've used champagne yeast fermenting at room temperature - do you think it will get much lower?

Also I've noticed that it's getting really dry, which is nice but I was wondering if there's anything I could do to give it a tad more sweetness? I don't think the carbonation sugar will make a difference to that, will it?

You can de-gass your trial jar prior to taking a reading just get two pint glasses and repeatedly pour from a height the sample from one to the other

What I'm thinking for an 8L batch is:

3L Apple juice
2L RGJ
3L WATER (1L to start with and then top up)
600G sUGAR
2 X TSP PECTOLASE
2 X TSP GLYCERIN
2 X YORKSHIRE TEA BAGS STEEPED
1 X TSP YEAST NUTRIENT
2 X TBSP LEMON JUICE

And then prime with two canderel and two tsp of sugar per 1L bottle. I think that's going to ring SWMBO's bell.
Wilko wine yeast on that and it should be quite nice.

Pour half a litre into a sterile container, add sugar to taste a teaspoon at a time, when you get it to your liking multiply the sugar added by the amount of wine you have.

Pour half a litre into a sterile container, add sugar to taste a teaspoon at a time, when you get it to your liking multiply the sugar added by the amount of wine you have.

I'm guessing by sugar you mean the glycerine? I've never used it in anything. I'm guessing I will need really small amounts?

A lot of people recommend using Xylitol or truvia never used it my self though but I'd be tempted to try Xylitol

A lot of people recommend using Xylitol or truvia never used it my self though but I'd be tempted to try truvia

I actually wondered if sweetener would work as it's not actually sugar. I think I'll go with glycerine this time, I like the idea of adding a tiny bit of oiliness and body to it :) Not sure if normal sweetener would

Just been researching different sweeteners as it intrigued me. Found some information about Glycerin that might be helpful to you

It is not, however, calorie-free. In fact, glycerin contains slightly more calories than sugar—and it’s only about 60% as sweet, so you might need slightly more to get the equivalent sweetness. Also, as with sugar alcohols, consuming a lot of glycerin can produce a laxative effect, which may or may not be desired.

Just been researching different sweeteners as it intrigued me. Found some information about Glycerin that might be helpful to you

It is not, however, calorie-free. In fact, glycerin contains slightly more calories than sugar—and it’s only about 60% as sweet, so you might need slightly more to get the equivalent sweetness. Also, as with sugar alcohols, consuming a lot of glycerin can produce a laxative effect, which may or may not be desired.

That's really interesting. What were your findings regarding the different sweeteners? Would they add to the mouthfeel, too?

Sorry to say I've not used sweeteners I've only been researching them now for future use.
as to mouth feel unless the ingredient is a thickening agent(like Glycerin) then it should not affect mouth feel,
I've narrowed down my choices to,
100% stevia (30 x stronger than sugar)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00GJRTIGU#Ask
Or
100% sucralose (600 x stronger than sugar)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00HF63M5M?vs=1
Because they taste like sugar not fake chemicals, I'm leaning towards sucralose though reason being it's made from sugar but is unfermentable and even though it's only 100g it's 600x stronger so should last forever.
Also if you want mouthfeel then you could just add Glycerin at 1tsp per gallon then use whatever sweeteners you like

https://m.boots.com/h5/cat_hub?unCountry=uk&path=/en/Boots-Glycerin-B.P-200ml_852418/?CAWELAID=336746355

A lot of people recommend using Xylitol or truvia never used it my self though but I'd be tempted to try Xylitol

wiki suggestst xylitol is a sugar alcohol... does this not ferment then? I'm just looking up sweeteners as I need more than the glycerine bottle so might mix some sweetener with glycerine.

No it doesn't ferment but as Xylitol is a sugar alcohol too much will act as a diarrhetic although you would have to drink quite a bit for that to happen.

If you are considering getting a sweetener I'd suggest sucralose

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003VJQNWG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HF63M5M/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Xylitol 1kg = £10.40
Has sweetness ratio almost 1:1 with sugar

Sucralose 100g = £13.99
Has a sweetness ratio of 600:1 with sugar

Therefore
1kg Xylitol = 1kg sugar
100g sucralose = 60kg sugar

It's going to work out expensive using Xylitol

Last edited by a moderator: