Prosecco!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No it doesn't ferment but as Xylitol is a sugar alcohol too much will act as a diarrhetic although you would have to drink quite a bit for that to happen.

If you are considering getting a sweetener I'd suggest sucralose

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003VJQNWG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HF63M5M/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Xylitol 1kg = �£10.40
Has sweetness ratio almost 1:1 with sugar

Sucralose 100g = �£13.99
Has a sweetness ratio of 600:1 with sugar

Therefore
1kg Xylitol = 1kg sugar
100g sucralose = 60kg sugar

It's going to work out expensive using Xylitol

Thanks that makes sense. i like the possible healthy side effects of xylitol (teeth etc) but don't think I should have it in the house as I've got a dog.

Did I get that right that sucralose isn't actually a natural product though? I like the idea of using something natural, leaves stevia, which is readily available in the shops (wanna get something tonight), although I am not sure how "healthy" it is, given the fact that it once was banned. Then again, small quantities should be okay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on how you view things, me personally I'd class it as natural product.
Sucralose is derived from sucrose which is derived from sugar(cane etc) although obviously it is not naturally occurring it is made from natural products.
Just as with almost anything we can buy.

As for is it safe the nhs's tests say so http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/the-truth-about-sucralose.aspx

If you must buy something from a supermarket I would get splenda(1%sucralose 99% fillers)
As although I've not used it the people that have claimed it didn't taste chemicaly.

So I just bottled the Processo at 0.992, it was in the FV for 3 weeks. I added a bit up sweetener and let it settle again, then bottled it just now with a teaspoon of sugar per 500ml bottle. So... how long will it take now to fizz up? A week or two? And should I store it at room temp right now or colder?

:thumb:

Put this on just now, OG was 1.051 (for my own records)

Brewing with Ritchies W0094 Wine Yeast (£1.20)

Thanks Lampie

Does anyone know if and when I should ad finings, yeasy nutrient ect? I have both in my fridge.

The temp is still at 29 egrees so I'll wait until it rops below 25 before I pitch.

The recipe I got from a collegue for 5 liter is:

1.5 liter applejuice
0.5 liter red grape juice
2 liter water
400 gram sugar
fruity white wine yeast

He only adds 2 tsp of sugar in the bottle get a fizzy drink.

I dont have enough space to try it but he said its realy close to a Italian Prosecco :).

So I just bottled the Processo at 0.992, it was in the FV for 3 weeks. I added a bit up sweetener and let it settle again, then bottled it just now with a teaspoon of sugar per 500ml bottle. So... how long will it take now to fizz up? A week or two? And should I store it at room temp right now or colder?

:thumb:

I'm confused now. You've been investigating non-sugar sweeteners because (if I've got it right) you didn't want to use sugar. Now you've added sweetener, and a teaspoon of sugar?! How about you let us know how you get on, give us your results and then people might be able to answer some of your questions.....

I'm confused now. You've been investigating non-sugar sweeteners because (if I've got it right) you didn't want to use sugar. Now you've added sweetener, and a teaspoon of sugar?! How about you let us know how you get on, give us your results and then people might be able to answer some of your questions.....

I added sweetener for get the right sweetness (1 tsp per litre) and a tsp of sugar per bottle to carbonate and create fizz, not for sweetness. It's all finished fermenting hence me bottling it today but I was wondering how long it will be until it has created fizz.

Every brew will be different, so almost impossible to answer. Temperature, yeast remaining, SG, FG, volume and so on. The only way you will know is by opening at different stages. There is no 'one size fits all'......let us know how how you get on. But I would leave it a couple of months for a decent result.

Every brew will be different, so almost impossible to answer. Temperature, yeast remaining, SG, FG, volume and so on. The only way you will know is by opening at different stages. There is no 'one size fits all'......let us know how how you get on. But I would leave it a couple of months for a decent result.

Sure. should I still keep the bottles at room temp now or cooler? I was somehow hoping I'd have some fizz in about two weeks lol! it tastes spot on, finished and not yeasty but obviously flat now.

Sure. should I still keep the bottles at room temp now or cooler? I was somehow hoping I'd have some fizz in about two weeks lol! it tastes spot on, finished and not yeasty but obviously flat now.

Room temp to get it to carbonate in the bottles. Did you use any plastic ones, if so you can tell by how firm they are to the squeeze (ooer), how the carbonation is coming...

Othwewise, if it's anything like cider, once they are crystal clear in the bottle, they're ready to go, usually after a couple of weeks in the warm, but the fizz does keep improving even once put away in the cool (after the warm two weeks) I reckon

So I've been wondering... as this is my first sparkling wine (wine in general), will it even carbonate? I've had the wine in the FV for 3 weeks, I didn't rack it into anything clean but when I bottled it, I left 500ml or so in the bottom of the FV with the yeast, so there is no yeast or very minimal yeast in my bottles. I've been doing this with beer and it carbonates fine (too well lol) but maybe beer is different?

What do you think? I've read methods of adding yeast etc to the bottles and then shaking it (champagne method) etc....

Room temp to get it to carbonate in the bottles. Did you use any plastic ones, if so you can tell by how firm they are to the squeeze (ooer), how the carbonation is coming...

Othwewise, if it's anything like cider, once they are crystal clear in the bottle, they're ready to go, usually after a couple of weeks in the warm, but the fizz does keep improving even once put away in the cool (after the warm two weeks) I reckon

Thanks, just saw this! I guess I am a bit worried that I left the wine in the FV for too long and it won't carbonate now in the bottles?

I used sterilised plastic beer bottles (screw top) for the wine so they should be sturdy enough. They feel firm already, I've been keeping them in the kitchen.

Thanks, just saw this! I guess I am a bit worried that I left the wine in the FV for too long and it won't carbonate now in the bottles?

I used sterilised plastic beer bottles (screw top) for the wine so they should be sturdy enough. They feel firm already, I've been keeping them in the kitchen.

I reckon you can leave a brew for a fair bit without the yeast dying off completely...

I'm thinking a prosecco next mebbe, using a similar recipe to this, did it taste prosecco-like when you bottled it ?

I reckon you can leave a brew for a fair bit without the yeast dying off completely...

I'm thinking a prosecco next mebbe, using a similar recipe to this, did it taste prosecco-like when you bottled it ?

It was very dry so I added a little bit og sweetener - I first used some glycerine but needed too much so I mixed sweetener into the rest (only 1/2 tsp p 500ml was enough for me - I didn't want it sweet, just not as dry.) If it bubbles up alright, It'll be very nice.

I wonder if you could make the same recipe with white grape juice? I also added a cup of tea to it and would up the sugar in the beginning to get a higher ABV - mine has something like 9.25% or 9.5% (forgot the exact number)

It was very dry so I added a little bit og sweetener - I first used some glycerine but needed too much so I mixed sweetener into the rest (only 1/2 tsp p 500ml was enough for me - I didn't want it sweet, just not as dry.) If it bubbles up alright, It'll be very nice.

I wonder if you could make the same recipe with white grape juice? I also added a cup of tea to it and would up the sugar in the beginning to get a higher ABV - mine has something like 9.25% or 9.5% (forgot the exact number)

yeh I reckon, it would certainly be a lot lighter in colour.

I added some extra sugar, so mine's going to be in the region of 13.7% :whistle: :mrgreen::mrgreen:

I made this well over a year ago and left it conditioning and forgot about it.
I just got the 1st bottle down and put it in the freezer for 45 mins, and I'm really pleased with the result. Even the missus likes it.
The recipe I used was this:

1 and a half litres apple juice (not from concentrate),
1 litre red grape juice ( " ),
half a bottle of wilko white grape juice,
500g dextrose,
1 tsp nutrient,
1 tsp citric acid,
1 tsp glycerine,
1 cup of strong tea,
1 tsp pectolase,
600 ml boiling water.
I think I just used wilko wine yeast.

og= 10.78
fg= 9.96.

20160613_161100.jpg

Not sure really Chip, I don't make much wine as I'm not really a wine drinker. I've made a few kits and they've turned out nice. I have noticed that the longer I leave them the better they are though.

Mrs Tea saw your post and said i love Prosecco, if it doesn't take too long to become a decent drink i may have a go, we don't have a lot of storage space so usually go for stuff that is quick to ferment and doesn't take much (if any) ageing.

I think I will use champagne yeast when I do it again, as I think it would probably settle better. I was going to try it yesterday, but put it in the door of the fridge and it shook the yeast back into suspension; so I got another bottle down instead.
I racked a couple of times and left it a very long time in the DJ, so probably bottled it around Octoberish.
It was originally for Xmas but, my wife had an operation which got complicated, so Xmas bypassed us. Consequently I got a bit of stock for the next one.
I made 2 batches of this (12 bottles) :)

Latest posts

Back