• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to The Homebrew Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Protafloc tablets

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nixhaz

Regular.
Reaction score
Hey all,

I accidentally bought 100 of these this week, which is enough for about 200 brews or about 4 years of brewing, but they expire in 2 years! Oops. (I use 1/2 one per brew).

If anyone would like 10 of them, I'll just charge what they cost plus postage, so £2.38 for 10 if that seems reasonable? I'll pop them in a resealable ziploc pouch and vac them down so they stay super fresh until wanted.

Cheers,

Nix

**Edit didn't realise it would be large letter sized as they are thicker than .5cm

Last edited:
I don't think they really expire. I'd stick half of them in a small box or plastic bag and put them in the freezer or the fridge. Better still, what an excellent excuse to double your capacity for a couple of years. You know it makes sense.

Oh thanks @An Ankoù I'll be vacuum packing them so they should stay fresh anyway.

Thought maybe people might need some in these crazy times, so glad to share them out if anyone is in dire need!!

Actually yes I am a bit short, forgot to order them when I shocked up for Armageddon, any chance you could post me 25 of them

Yeah no problem at all @Cyberjip . I'll pack them up when I get to work. I'll send you a PM when I've got them ready for you.

Is there any real difference between using these and using Irish moss? I bought a small tub of moss about 5 years ago and it is almost empty.

I only really use Irish moss on beers over 8% so the yeast doesn't become inhibited.

Hi @phildo79 I don't think there's any real difference, protafloc tablets are just finely ground irish moss (carrageenan) as far as I am aware.
I used 1/2 one in my low alcohol brew the other day and it cleared the wort beautifully, and the yeast is going mental!

Have you got an economy of scale chart so like the price for 10, 20, 30? Cheers.

Hey @Drunkula they cost me 14p each so multiples of that plus it costs 88p for 2nd class postage for up to 100g (I think 30 would be just under 100g). I'm not charging for packaging. Hope that helps!

I have 50 left for sale.

Back