Protofloc, how many grams

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keat64

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm using Protofloc for the first time tomorrow, and was wondering how much to put in towards the end of the boil.

I've seen many threads where they talk about half a tablet per 23l, but doesn't that depend on the size of the tablet.

The ones I have are about 18mm diameter and around 8mm thick.

I can't seem to find anywhere that says how many grams.

I use about 2g or 1 teaspoon Protofloc granules in 50l wort and does me well but finding scales to measure in grams as small as that is a pain so I agree on half of your tablets ground up between teaspoons or mortar and pestle for your 25l. Can't say I always bothered to keep it to just a half most times and doubt it would cause any harm if you went over.18mm diameter sounds a pretty big tablet mind!

I scoured the net for ages, and about the best I could come up with was .5 to 1 gram per 25 litres.
I do have a set of scales which will measure .5, so that was my intention.

Guess what.... when decanting from the boiler to the FV, i realised that i'd forgotten to add it., so I poured everything back in the boiler, lobbed the Protofloc in and brought it back to a boil.
Gave it about 2 minutes on vigorous, then decanted again.

Lets see what happens.

I thought all the tablets would be the same size. I have always put one per 23l

Yeah me too. I mean, what is the point of marketing a product that is the wrong size for what it is going to be used for?

OXO cubes - use one half an OXO cube to make the family meal and just save the other half OXO cube with the tea bags - everyone likes beef tea!

I have a full oxo in a cup, never heard of it being mixed with tea! I prefer the vegetable ones over the original - reminds me of train station vending machine soup. As for protafloc, half a tablet has always served me well.

The recipes in GH book state one teaspoon of granules in 23l. According to online converters, this equates to 5g. (I use my wife's measuring spoons so I know I am adding the same each time).

So much conflicting g information. My only concern with adding too much is the cauliflower effect I read about. That's why I wanted an accurate measurement rather than quoting tablet quantity.

Back