Provisional Driving Licence for teenager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodolpete

Regular.
Reaction score
My grandson is fast approaching that age. Some friends say he can apply with just a birth certificate as proof of identity, while others say he needs a passport. Can any member who had a teen go through this advise me what is needed please?
GOP

I am no expert but I think you can use a passport as they use the picture on the passport for the picture on the licence but i would think that you could use a birth certificate but would have to send a "passport" style picture for them to use on the licence or I may be talking **** :laugh8:

My son recently applied for his provisional and he used his Birth certificate and his national insurance card these must be the originals not copies.

UK birth, adoption and naturalisation certificates
You can use a UK birth, adoption or naturalisation certificate, but you must send it with one of the following:
  • National Insurance card, or a letter from the Department for Work and Pensions or HM Revenue and Customs showing your National Insurance number - find your National Insurance number if you’ve lost it
  • photocopy of the front page of a benefits book or an original benefits claim letter
  • P45, P60 or pay slip
  • marriage certificate or divorce papers (decree nisi or absolute)
  • a gender recognition certificate
  • college or university union card, education certificate or PASS proof of age card (issued after June 2014)

It’s ‘faster’ if you have already got a passport as it allows use of the Government gateway and as others stare the use of the pre approved passport photo.

otherwise the forms of ID above will suffice, alongside two ‘passport’ style photos one with a ‘true likeness’ declaration which has to be signed off by a ‘professional person’ school/college teachers should suffice….. or if appropriate probation, local rozzer et al.
The second way is slower and if the media is to be believed DVLA are in a right mess at the moment so assuming driving lessons for a 17th I would get it in as early as possible…

Latest posts

Back